Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inaba Shidare needs help

Posted by jdlt155 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 16:19

Hi everybody,

I am pretty new to this forum,although i have been on Gardenweb for a number of years, and have gotten some great information on the various forums.
I have a 7 year old Inaba Shidare cutleaf in my yard between my outdoor pond and at the head of my stream,It is about 4 feet in height, and with a spread of 4-5 feet,

I have it planted on a raised bed with mulch and over the last several years it has not failed to amaze me with its color and beauty.
Unfortunately 2 years ago during a somewhat harsh winter one of the larger branches was storm damaged and i pruned it,and applied a little wound dressing to the cut.

The following year it leafed out as usual very nice,turning from bright red to green later in the season,but last year the tree did not fully bud,and leaf out, and i had several dead branches.

I just noticed yesterday, now that all the snow has melted recently, the tree is still alive, albeit with several dead branches as before, although it is still early in the season for budding in this zone in Ct.

Is this maple worth saving, should i give it some time and see how it develops or look for a replacement?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Ken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inaba Shidare needs help

I'll have to check mine tomorrow to see how far along my buds are, but, yes, it is a bit early to make any definate determination. You can get a feel for how bad it may be by comparing the number of good and dead-looking buds and how much of the overall shape will be left, but it's still guesswork this early in the season.

tj

o
RE: Inaba Shidare needs help

Checked the buds on my tree and they are still small and tight.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here