Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilted_flower

Trying seeds but... :(

wilted_flower
17 years ago

I realize that seedlings may not be true like the parent but I had to try to do this..I love to start plants from seeds.

Anyhow, I followed the directions and April 23rd will be 90 days in the fridge. I see nothing...nada, no start no nothing :( do I have to start over again? Everything looks ok and clean in the bag. What did I do wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (6)

• mattlwfowler
    17 years ago

I've had seeds start rooting in the fridge at just over 90 days on their own, so be patient for now and plant them out as scheduled. Then cross you fingers and wait. If they don't come up we'll investigate what went wrong...until then just be patient.

• flowerfan2
    17 years ago

I would plant them in flats and put them outside in a sheltered postition. Hopefully your seedlings will start coming up soon. I have been growing JM from seed for the last 3 years and it has been a lot of fun. I have gotten a lot of beautiful trees. The germination rate is low and can take 1-3 years so patience is a must.

• wilted_flower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks very much! I had NO idea it could take years...
    this really takes patience!! I know now I'm going to have to buy two more just because ;)

Thanks again!
    Sierra

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

I had mine in the fridge in a bit of moist peat with a paper towel lightly soakes in captain I'd say about 1/3 at most started to spout but not until late feb early March and they were put in the fridge in Nov. still red. I had another bag same captin laces wet towel without wet peat and NONE of them sprouted. Yes patience is needed and alot of seeds to get a small number of plants...I see seeds for sale on ebay by the 6's or 12's and I wonder are these super seeds;>) Not only will a Beni otaki not likely come true to it's parent but how many of those blasted things actually germinate til most unknowing or anxious folks pitch them??? WHAT A RIP OFF all the way around Benu otaki seeds ...yah right !!!! David

• myersphcf
    17 years ago

Sorry I should have re-read my words before posting I put them in the fridge around Oct 20.( not Nov).. over 120 days ...be patient David

• mattlwfowler
    17 years ago

I've had pretty good percentages on most of my seeds when I put them in peat with fungicide in the fridge for 90 days. I got over 75% on a small batch of seeds from an 'ara kawa'.

However, sometimes about half of the seeds will come up the first year followed by about a quater the next year with a few more the third. It really depends on how well they are stratified.