Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starina_gw

Identifying a NOID japanese maple

starina
15 years ago

Hi,

I just bought an untagged jm from a nursery I worked for a couple of years ago. I know it came from Iseli's, in a big box, but I don't remember the cultivar, and neither does the person who was the nuresry manager back then. I do know that it was an unusual maple, so I'm thrilled to get my hands on it.

My dilemma; identifying the tree. What would be the best way to do so? I know to wait till it leafs out, but is there a database with photos somewhere? I don't think I can get my hands on Vertrees book.

I'd appreciate advice. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• picea
    15 years ago

If you can post a picture of the plant and leaves it would be very helpfull otherwise I would start by checking Iseli's website. I would also check out World Plants website as it has lots of pictures.

David

• noki
    15 years ago

Many websites that sell Japanese Maples have a good list of cultivars with pics, just google or check out Dave's Garden website, which also often has pics of cultivars. Check out which cultivars have similar leave shape and color, then research those. Shouldn't be hard to narrow it down quickly, thou it depends on the type if you could know for certain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of Dave's Garden page

• starina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you picea and noki. I'm going to pick the tree up this afternoon. I was driving my small car yesterday, therefore had to leave the tree at the nursery. I look forward to iding it, anothter jm is always welcome here, and I do get a charge out of an unknown bargain, lol.
    I keep trying to visualize the tag, I would hand water the tree quite often, and remember wishing I could afford it. The ex-nursery manager is trying to remember also. A pleasurable puzzle for sure!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Since there are many hundreds of JM cultivars on the market, just looking at websites of photos is going to be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack :-) And I've yet to find one that offers a very complete photo gallery anyway - most simply do not have that ability to offer the full range of JM's currrently on the market and the website would be huge if they did.

Since the plant came from Iseli's, that would be the first place to start looking. And my experience in being a buyer for a nursery is that most keep pretty thorough records of what they ordered over the years so they can identify the source should they desire or need to order it again. By the same token, Iseli would likely have records as well as to what they sent out and when - I used to receive reprints of the previous year's orders from all my suppliers, together with their current availabilities, to simplify each season's ordering process. Start with the source first, and if that doesn't provide results then turn to the much lengthier process of looking at websites or books to narrow it down.

If the nursery doesn't have a copy of Vertrees (they should!), check the local library.

• starina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gardengal, that is excellent advice. I will contact Iseli's with photos when the tree leafs out(is it leafs, or leaves?). The nursery does not have a record from previous years purchasing, at least not far back enough, sigh. I did check, and I think that is part of the reason the tree was a 'bargain'.
    I did gt the tree home this morning. It's still in the back of the truck, awaiting additional muscle. I appreciate all of your help in this matter, and I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Thank you all, and happy spring!

• herman_neutics
    15 years ago

Star,

Check out topiary gardens web site they have good images of a few hundred cultivars. Another good source for help with ID is UBC acer photo forum. UBC has many knowledgeable JM maple enthusiasts and there are thousands of photos.

There are in fact a few thousand JM cultivars in the marketplace and IDing a plant with certainty can be prickly project.

The new Maple checklist (Westonbirt Forestry Commission) includes nearly 3000 JM cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: acer palmatum cultivars (photos)

• starina
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Herman, The above link is very helpful. I'm still waiting for the tree to leaf out. Should be very soon.

• starina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the tree is leafing out. The leaves are not completely unfurled yet, sigh, patience...

• starina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

and another

Does this look familiar to anyone? Thanks!

• starina
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the smart money is on Tsuma Gaki. Thanks for your input you all!