Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen Jap Maples

Posted by billpilot88 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 16:39

I have a couple of Bloodgood maples and the temperature went to 24 degrees last night. The leaves, which started budding 2 weeks ago, are now contracted and limp. It was warm today (70 degrees) but they still look the same. Are they dead for the rest of the year? If so, is there another growth period where they will be replaced? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen Jap Maples

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 16:54

Freezing causes cell rupture that doesn't heal. There are latent buds waiting behind the frozen foliage that will soon emerge - if your tree has enough stored energy to push them.

Al

o
RE: Frozen Jap Maples

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 22:47

Two years ago my Bloodgood out in the front of my lawn got killed by one of these April cold snaps. The tree was one of the younger ones from Lowes. If it starts looking like this (no unopened buds), it is a goner:

From 050107

Dig out that receipt for 1 year guarantee and get a replacement if your tree starts to go down the path that mine did (and don't let Lowes try to give you a smaller tree like they did me)!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here