Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagate by soaking in water?

Posted by musicgirl99 30338 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 16:49

Just checking... Is it possible to propagate any Japanese maple by soaking a branch with new growth on it (spring season) ?

This is my 2nd year trying to pick seeds in the fall, store in fridge with moist soil for 90 days, and then see if any sprout... but it's not happening. Can some jm seeds take longer to begin growing once they've been in the fridge and then put into little containers with some soil (per instructions I've read)?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagate by soaking in water?

Soaking in water is not a great method :-) You can propagate JM's from softwood cuttings in early summer but they need rooting hormone and a proper growing medium. And heat.

Never tried growing from seed - need more immediate gratification and want only named forms (which are not obtainable from seed). But I have gathered seedlings from under mature JM's and shared with friends. If that is at all possible look for some of those. Or perhaps one of our seed growing regulars will chime in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating JM's by cuttings

o

Thank you! Now I just need to figure out what a blood red JM seedling looks like... We have several red maples & a few JMs in the yard. Do they look very different before they've grown some? I'm having some trouble differentiating between the two (also posted this question in JM forum). :) Thank you!

o

I usually do what Gardengal48 does, just dig them up from under or near seed bearing maples.
I have planted seeds in flats and left them out in the shade for the winter and then potted them in the spring after they sprouted. I have also spread the seeds on a raked raised bed in the Fall and then lightly covered the seeds with soil. They come up like grass seed in the Spring.
If you are just now planting them after a winter in the fridge I would wait a little longer for them to sprout. I've had them sprout in the Spring in the refrigerator after being in the salad drawer for the winter. Outside is easier, according to my wife.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here