Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robanalog

Japanese Maple in zone 10?

robanalog
18 years ago

I'm in San diego and they have Japanese Maples in a 1g container for $20. Will they even grow in zone 10? Thanks.

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    18 years ago

They grow up the road from you in San Clemente and Dana Point, so yes, I'd assume they'd do as well in San Diego. Inland, not so good unless enough shade in afternoon and sufficient watering.

• luyeno
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I live in Los Angeles and maples grow quite well here. The only problem is when we have Santa Ana winds in the summer. Hot, dry winds will desiccate the leaves, but as long as you water properly, whether in the ground or in containers, your maples should do fine. By "properly" I mean keep the roots moist, but don't overwater. Do not allow the roots to stand in water if you have a potted maple in a saucer. Empty the saucer after you're done watering. But NEVER allow the soil and roots to go dry. Most of my maples will get direct sun from about 12p to 4 or 5p. With winter temps in the 60s I'm watering about once every 4 days. When summer temps reach the 90s I'm watering every other day to every day.

If your tree is planted in the ground a good deep watering once a week should be fine, and maybe twice a week during the hottest part of summer. Giving the tree a good deep watering once a week will encourage drought tolerance and deeper root growth. More frequent light waterings will encourage roots at the surface where they will dry up quicker.

Hope this helps,

Layne

• dogule
    18 years ago

I too live in Los Angeles and agree with Layne that maples grow fine here. The only thing a bit different in my situation is that my potted Japanese maple gets direct morning sun and filtered sunlight in the afternoon. I adjust the watering depending on season/temperature, but it's pretty much on par with Layne.

So, go ahead and get one! Or two...

Rob

• arawa
    18 years ago

They grow just fine here is San Diego,right on the coast burning in not a problem if well located, inland they will burn if not protected from heat & hot dry winds. Type of tree is also important the laceleafs cannot handle midday full sun and inland will fry if exposed, laceleafs should be in pots so they can be moved or located so they are in mostly shade from midday on.One of the biggest factors to them burning for us though is the amount of salts in the water , up in the L.A. area the water comes mostly from the Sierras and is low salt, in S.D. our water is from the Colorado river and much saltier so for the same amount of heat you will most likely get more burn in S.D. than L.A. I have seen some 50 year old plus examples in so. Ca. that are growing in the ground and are quite a bit taller than the houses they were planted next to.That being said if you grow them down here and are not right on the coast or the tree is not protected from Santa Ana winds and midday sun expect some burn.And inland never put a pencil thin one gallon tree exposed to midday sun out on its own it will burn to death. get it up to decent size in a pot for several years before planting in an exposed location.

• Don_genesismsa_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I live in a zone 10 (Florida).I know I can Grow a red japanese maple here! BUT! How can I make sure my maple goes into DORMANT mode!lol. Here it begins to get hot around November and it doesnt last to long! If anyone can give me a hand with this question it will be appreciet it!Im new with maples so I need as much help as possible! thanks!