Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenlantern88

Dwarf Bloodgood Japanese Maple - First Tree/First Post :)

GreenLantern88
10 years ago

First and foremost, I don't have a green thumb...at all. I was shopping to add a little color to my property (not a single plant in either front/backyard). I came upon this Dwarf Bloodgood Japanese Maple at my local Lowes and I immediately remembered my dad planting this same tree back in Indiana before we moved to Hawaii. It's a beautiful tree and I bought it on impulse for $150 after my military discount. My first instinct was to plant it in the front lawn in full sun, luckily I did some research and learned that in this area partial sun is better and decided on a different spot in the backyard closer to the house for afternoon shade. I'll plant it tomorrow, any advice or suggestions for someone completely new to the plant world? I'm also growing some Plumeria plant cuttings I brought back from Hawaii and those seem to be doing quite well :)

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I'm just a little curious where in FL you are located that you can grow both tropical and temperate region plants together? Typically, there will be something about your climate that one or the other does not care for - it would help to know which is which :-)

As to the Japanese maple, they can grow in FL but in the milder areas. This is a tree that would not be happy in much heat or high humidity. And will need protection from hot afternoon sun.

FWIW, there is no such thing as a dwarf 'Bloodgood' - 'Bloodgood' is what it is, a large growing JM with blood red foliage. There are a good number of 'Bloodgood' look-alikes but they cannot be called by that name, dwarf or otherwise. A tree coming with that name is NOT coming from a reputable grower and I would be very skeptical about what exactly I was purchasing.

• GreenLantern88
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I live in Crestview, FL. I googled my zone and have no idea what the differences are. I'm 26 and this is the first tree I've ever planted. I planted it in the area shown in the picture to keep it from most of the afternoon sun, this picture was taken around 330pm. I don't know what you would consider a reputable dealer but I was walking around Lowe's...saw it and bought it. The tag says the JM comes from Simpson Nurseries from Monticello, FL. The tag also says it will grow ~10-12ft and ~12ft wide, whether or not that is true remains to be seen.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Given your location, it seems the maple should do quite well but the plumeria will need to be brought in for winter :-)

There is often a lot of misinformation about the correct naming of Japanese maples. All named forms - cultivars - of Japanese maples are propagated asexually, either by grafting (most common) or by cuttings (less common). All seed grown Japanese maples are just referred to as generic Acer palmatum - no cultivar name - regardless of what the parent plant was. Cultivar names are registered and all reputable growers will propagate correctly with the approved and correctly labeled stock plants. But there are many less reputable sources that will produce maples under other, non-registered names or even by seed. 'Bloodgood is perhaps the most widely propagated Japanese maple on the market and you will often find seed-grown so-called Bloodgoods on the market. They may very well look like Bloodgood but they are not. You may find "dwarf" Bloodgoods included in this somewhat suspicious grouping.

Bloodgood is a pretty good sized JM. The typical mature size is often quoted as 20'x20' but Vertrees (THE JM authority) reports a mature height of upto 30 feet. As I stated previously, there is NO dwarf Bloodgood but a good number of smaller growing Bloodgood look-alikes, several of which were sports or brooms from a known Bloodgood. But they are known by different names if properly registered cultivars.

Enjoy whatever tree you actually have :-)) I've yet to meet any Japanese maple I didn't like!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Lovely shape on that tree.
    Congratulations!

• Deborah
    8 years ago

I live in Mt. Dora Fl. and I also bought a 'Dwarf Bloodgood Japanese Maple', also from Lowes. I loved the color and the shape of the leaves. But the color has already faded to green. Will it turn red again? And when?

• magpiepix 5b/6a
    8 years ago

Deborah, it will probably turn red again in the fall. Is it planted in a lot of shade? Many red leaf JMs turn green in a lot of shade.

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Just a seedling, Gardengal! ;-)

No graft or label is mentioned.

Mike

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Mike, she said it was purchased from Lowe's labeled as a "Dwarf Bloodgood Japanese Maple" and there is no such thing as a dwarf Bloodgood. It could very well be a seedling or it could just as easily be something some less-than-reputable grower is attempting to pass off as a dwarf Bloodgood. In any case, it is not labeled correctly for whatever it is.

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

Oh! I see what you mean. I meant Latin label.

Since there is no Dwarf Bloodgood Japanese Maple the label is erroneous.

Therefore, for all practical purposes, since it can't be correctly identified, it's a seedling. Nice looking one though.

Mike