Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
October Glory vs Conquest Maple

Posted by lot67 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 17:15

I can purchase an october glory for $39.99 or pay $59.99 for a maple conquest. There both about 4-5 ft. The conquest has leaves already, while the october glory has buds.

I'm looking for something that will look nice,strong, and grows fast.
Which one would you chose and why?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: October Glory vs Conquest Maple

If your in zone 5 or higher I wouldn't buy anything that has leaves on it right now.

I'm not familar with the conquest maple...but on the October Glory Maple.

October Glory Red Maple will grow to be about 50 feet tall at maturity, with a spread of 40 feet. It has a high canopy with a typical clearance of 7 feet from the ground, and should not be planted underneath power lines. It grows at a medium rate, and under ideal conditions can be expected to live for 80 years or more.

This tree should only be grown in full sunlight. It is quite adaptable, prefering to grow in average to wet conditions, and will even tolerate some standing water. It is not particular as to soil type, but has a definite preference for acidic soils, and is subject to chlorosis (yellowing) of the leaves in alkaline soils. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution, and will benefit from being planted in a relatively sheltered location.

o
RE: October Glory vs Conquest Maple

Conquest maple is apparently Acer platanoides 'Conzam' , a red leaf form of Norway Maple. As such there is potential of it being invasive if you are somewhere in a moderately moist climate or wetter.

So of the two, I would say Acer rubrum 'October Glory'. Very nice tree, though personally I would probable go with Acer rubrum "Sunset Red Maple' as I like the early color up, while the October Glory is much later in coloring. Just a personal preference.

Arktrees

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here