Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whoo hoo! JM making seeds!

Posted by west9491 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 17:24

wow, never thought i'd see it for some reason but my JM is going to seed. I just need to know what do i need to do, i know that they need to stay in my fridge for 90 to 100 days.
but how do i know when they are ready to be harvested, they are kinda small right now, and the part where the seed is encases is slightly green.

and will they even germinate after stratification? since i only own 1 japanese maple did it need to be pollinated or something, i don't know anything bout that so it might be a stupid question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whoo hoo! JM making seeds!

West,

Check out Vertress or another text that covers propagation (Dirr). You have plenty of time. The samaras will be ready to harvest in sept or so. There is good info online as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: HELP FROM ELMORE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here