Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
info search on Burgundy Belle

Posted by notes (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 17:28

Anybody have pics, or info on size, growth rate (zone 5) , etc..
I've done searches, but haven't come up with much.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: info search on Burgundy Belle

Size and growth rates will be similar to that of 'october glory' and 'autumn flame' (not 'autumn blaze' as it is a freeman cross). I'd say about 30-40 ft high and 20-30 ft wide in about 20 to 30 years (getting possibly twice that size in about forever). The tree shape is also similar to these two being oval to rounded.

Here is one site that has a pic of the fall colors (not sure if you saw it):

http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=63

o

Thank you.
Yep. I saw that one. Can't seem to find any pics of the whole tree.
Those colors are beautiful, though.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 12:34

"The primary attribute of this tree which commanded my attention was its true magenta fall leaf color which is a brilliant, eye-catching red-violet. My observation that the parent tree had superior fall leaf color was confirmed by experts at the Kansas State University arboretum who compared leaves from the parent with those of various cultivars including `Red Sunset,` October Glory,` and standard trees of the Acer rubrum species. Trees of the species have fall leaf color ranging from yellow to dull red to bright red, but none are known to exhibit the striking magenta of this cultivar. Having a magenta fall leaf color enables this tree to fill another niche in the list of trees with purplish shades of fall leaf color which have become increasingly popular in recent years."

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent: PP07222

o

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Think I'm out of luck if it wouldn't get full sun?

o

No, part shade would likely suffice. The growth rate will be slower and the color will not be as spectacular in shade, but red maples naturally grow in fairly shady forests and only get full sun when they are full grown (and sometimes never since they are usually smaller trees than the companion trees around them).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here