Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alley_cat_gw

Spring Photo

alley_cat_gw_7b
12 years ago

Heres a little graft that i have high hopes for. Its 2nd year graft that i up potted to a 2 gallon pot and have moved it from the north side of my house to the west side last fall. Ive sunk the pot in mulch and am gonna see if it can take our heat at this young age.So far ...so good...but its only April. Ill take another photo in about 4 months. A P ' Summer Gold '

Comments (9)

• Cher
    12 years ago

That's beautiful. Would love to see the results on that as I only have full sun locations here.
    Cher

• kbguess
    12 years ago

I had great success with this cultivar in full sun in southern Iowa (planted in ground.) Last summer we had a real scorcher--hot and dry. The 'Summer Gold' tolerated the conditions well with minimal leaf burn and had fantastic color.

{{gwi:1037868}}

Keith

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

Wow, those are really nice plants, Al and Keith. I like the large, deeply serrated leaves, it looks like it could be a Japonicum.

How is the summer color - does it stay as gold as the name implies?

Alex

• Cher
    12 years ago

Keith your photo is gorgeous.
    Cher

• houzi
    12 years ago

Everyone's saying how well this plant holds up in the sun especially for a yellow leaf cultivar.Sadly I just haven't seen it around in UK and only 1 web result...surprising as it came from Europe.

• kbguess
    12 years ago

Cher, Alex
    thanks for the comments. Cher, I have a couple of grafts from last summer that took a little frost damage last week but look like they will pull through. I'd be happy to send you one in the fall if you'd like, just email through GW.

Mine had great color all season last year. Held the yellow into fall. . The previous photo was from last summer. These two from today

Keith

• kbguess
    12 years ago

Now that I look at my first photo in this thread more closely, I realize that I posted the wrong picture. The first one is shirasawanum 'Jordan' which is fabulous but doesn't handle the sun as well. I am going to break the link and post it to its own thread

My second post is the real palmatum 'Summer Gold'.

I apologize for being confusing

Keith

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Keith, Great photos... Your 'Summers Gold' looks sweet! I think i got bit by the yellow tree leaf bug. Im growing A S 'Jordan', A S 'Autumn Moon' A P 'Summer Gold' and a eastern redbud ' Hearts of Gold'. I tossed my 'Aureum' to my brother who has a woodland setting w plenty of shade. Even though my summer g is the smallest i do think once established they can handle quite alot of sun and heat with proper watering and maintain there color...AL

• Cher
    12 years ago

Thanks Keith - both trees are gorgeous. I love that one is able to handle full sun. I have Fireglow and it handles my all day full sun like a trooper. I am sending you an email.
    Cher