Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pacific sunset maple

Posted by kept 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 18:35

Can anyone tell me what they think of Pacific Sunset Maple a hybrid of Shantung.
Thanks,
Vic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pacific sunset maple

It's a hybrid between shantung and norway maple. Norway maple is more of invasive tree in certain areas plus they seem to have terrible root system that makes it diffcult to plant anything around it. I'm curious what exactly it is about this hybrid that makes it better than norway and shantung. Shantung maple alone is already a great tree. It's designated as Texas Super star plant (in texas). I think there's only 4 trees on that list.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 07 at 2:24

Nice in fall here, although it has been said color not as good in some climates. And already too many have been planted. Maybe look for something a little less usual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Sunset

o

I have Shantung Maple 'Fire Dragon' which produce consistent red fall color in Dallas, Texas (where seedling was grown and patented by Metro Maples). It's pretty nice tree. As far as I know only Metro Maples has large numbers of 'Fire Dragon' and few selected nurseries (unknown) sell them in North Texas. They might sell them again next winter online if you're willing to wait...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here