Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaitain4

Japanese Maple Photos

kaitain4
15 years ago

I thought I would share some pix of my maples, most of which were obtained this year. It was a little cloudy when I took these shots, I'm afraid. What I'm most excited about is the HUGE deal I got from a nursery that had some damaged plants. They were certifiably doomed, had I not stepped in. Got four 15 gallon maples for $50. For all of them! Retail was nearly $200 for each one, and I believe one of them was like $249,00. So far, they're all doing well!

I'm starting to get into this now - perhaps the bug has bitten?

Hope the link to Picassa shows up OK..

Regards,

DV

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maples - Spring08

Comments (8)

• conifers
    15 years ago

I'm happy for you!

I think you have some extra letters in some of the cultivar names or a miss-spelling on two but I'm not a bookworm with these. 'Viridis' looks right to me and the one that starts with an "H" is spelled differently twice.

Nice steals! lol

Dax

• mattnova
    15 years ago

Wow, I am a bit envious. I thought I got a good deal. I picked up two 15 gallons that said "needs TLC" for 20 bucks each. One was a 50" Inabe Shidare and a Tamukeyama that has about a 1 1/2 - 2 inch diameter trunk. I had to repot, prune and give them some minerals but they seem to be perking up. Congrats on the deal, I would have jumped on those in a second. They look great.

• dawgie
    15 years ago

Nice trees. The one you were uncertain about is not Garnet -- which is a dissectum with an orange-red color in spring. There are many varieties of red-leaved JMs that it could be.

I've got many of the same varieties that you got from World Plants. Autumn Moon is spectacular with colors like nothing else. Koto no ito looks like a miniature weeping willow. Beni ubi gohan has very bright red leaves in spring and a nice compact form.

• kaitain4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. Dax, I corrected the spelling on 'Hogyoku'. I just used the spelling that was on the tree tags, so no telling how accurate any of them are.

Matt - thanks also for your words. Don't be jealous - its all just luck being in the right place at the right time.

Dawgie - I'm getting ready for another World Plants order! I love these little grafts - they're inexpensive, and something about them is - well, I don't know! They're like like a little puppy or something! Little baby trees that need TLC and a bigger pot to grow in. The big trees are wonderful, of course, but these are more like children. :-)

Cheers!

DV

• dawgie
    15 years ago

That's funny, I also call my new grafts my "puppy trees." I grow mine in pots until they get too large for my deck or patio, and then plant them in the yard. Just set out my Shindeshogo, Koto no it, and Seiryu this spring.

Some of them I would like to keep in pots indefinitely because they look so nice up close -- Kamagata, Mikawa yatsubusa and Beni ubi gohan. Plus, I'm running out of places to put more trees in my yard.

• kaitain4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad there's another 'puppy tree' lover in the group!

Here's the order I just placed to World Plants:

Wou nishiki
    Shindeshojo
    Akita yatsubusa
    Komachi hime
    Elmwood
    Beni tsukasa
    Katsura
    Tsukushigata
    Orange Dream

I'm going for a whole litter this time!!

DV

• dawgie
    15 years ago

You'll love Shindeshojo. It's one of my favorites because it continually changes in appearance.

I'm also waiting on an order from Worldplants:

Beni tsukasa
    Beni hoshi
    Hanama nishiki

I debated ordering a Katsura or Orange Dream, but not sure if I have a place in my yard for either of them.

• kaitain4
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I almost got Beni hosi and Hanama nishiki too! But I had to pare it down to something sane, as I had about 15 in the shopping cart! So those two got taken out of the cart. Gotta save some for next year, anyway! :-)

DV

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm