Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grancru

Spring Color Photos - Show Us Yours

Grancru
15 years ago

Unknown Graft - I have it labled Sango kaku but I don't this it is correct.

Koto no ito - unshaven

Lost Tag - Any Ideas?

Red Pigmy

Shigatasu sawa

Kiyohime

Orange Dream

Waterfall

Seiryu

Goshiki kotohime

Green Star

Corallinum

Comments (10)

• Grancru
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slide Shows:

• dawgie
    15 years ago

Nice shots.

The first un-named one with the yellow-red leaves might be Katsura.

The red linearlobum with missing tag might be Atrolinear or Beni otake.

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Your photo's are great. I love those new leaves. I am just starting out so my maples are very small. Here are a couple.
    golden full moon maple

Seiryu

Red Lin. seedling

Dissectum seedling

Assorted seedlings

Karen

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

I'm jealous of all those seedlings. They are so beautiful. It's hard to find a Japanese maple for sale where I live. (Louisville) You can find some standard ones at the big box stores, but they have been treated badly.

Lainey

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Lainey,

Why don't you order by mail? That's what most of us do. I just ordered 9 trees (new grafts) from World Plants and they're only $15 a piece. There are several nice mail order nurseries that specialize in Japanese Maples.

Regards,

K4

Here is a link that might be useful: World Plants - Mail Order

• dawgie
    15 years ago

I second the recommendation for ordering by mail. I was skeptical before I tried it, but now buy most of my maples and many perennials that way. You can find virtually any variety of JM through on-line nurseries, generally at prices lower than local nurseries. I've never bought anything larger than 1-gallon plants, so I'm not sure how it works for larger plants, but it is certainly the way to go for smaller plants. Like K4, I usually buy newly grafted maples and grow them in pots until they are large enough to set out in the yard, although some of the dwarf varieties I intend to grow in containers indefinitely.

• mattnova
    15 years ago

I second that thought. I have been pleased with 90% of what I have gotten online. The only one I wouldn't want to buy online is if I wanted a large showpiece dissectum for the front lawn such as a mature Crimson Queen. I prefer low grafts in crimson queen and also a semi-dense spread and foliage which you may or may not get online. Seldom can you see a picture of the exact plant you are getting. I just got a A.J.acontitifolium, A.P's Garnet, Orange Dream, Germaine's Gyration, Mikawa Yatsubusa, Koto No Ito all online and I am impressed by most of them. You can get 1 year grafts from 10-15 bucks and 2 years for 20 or so. I would always advise people to get the biggest they can afford for a showpiece yet I love to watch the tiny ones develop and if you should lose one, no big loss. They go through so much change over the years.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Hey folks, Ive got some nice photos in my camera, and computer i wouldnt mind posting...problem is "tech challenged" any hot tips?

• Grancru
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FlowerFan,

Beautiful photos. I lover the iridescent colors of the dissectum.

Alley,

Open an account with Photobucket
    http://photobucket.com/
    Upload your photos
    Cut and paste the HTML code to your posting here and wha la... you've done it.

• adriantwpmi
    15 years ago

Nice pics.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus