Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coral Bark Maple dying?

Posted by oliver75 OR z8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 19:36

I planted a Coral Bark maple about one year ago. It never really took off, and seems to be going downhill. It is kind of sparse (both branches and leaves) and the leaves that are coming in seem to be small and droopy. We have had a ridiculous amount of rain this spring and I am sure that isn't helping things.
When I planted it, I think I may have dug too big of a hole. I amended it with some compost and top soil because I have pretty bad clay soil. My guess is that it is holding too much water.
Are JM's pretty slow to establish, or should it have had a lot of new growth by this point? I really hope it can pull through because it is a beautiful tree (not to mention expensive). If this is a drainage issue is there anything I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coral Bark Maple dying?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 20:29

They often are, this cultivar being even more prone to disease problems than many other Japanese maples. And, yes, digging a hole out of a clay soil and then replacing the soil with compost and top soil is an excellent way to collect water around a tree and kill it. This is about the main reason to never amend planting hole back-fill soil.

All Japanese maples must have excellent soil drainage at all times.

o
RE: Coral Bark Maple dying?

i would suggest digging it out and letting it dry a little. if its not too large, repot it in dry potting mix w/ 50% perlite.

if it recovers, find an elevated area, or create an elevated area to plant it. you can create a raised bed with either lumber, stones, bricks, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here