Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is wrong with my maple??

Posted by snuggliebear none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 19:47

hello, i have bought a new maple with the intention of making it into a bonsai, however as of last week the leaves have started to wither on the tree and begin falling off. they arnt falling off as single leaves but instead are fragmenting. i mist the tree everyday and water the soil. it is currently in a pot. is my tree dying? what can i do to revive it. i have already tired blood and bone and seaweed.
please see the attached photos.
also if anyone can identify the species, it would be of great help.

if want more pictures;

http://imgur.com/a/1JwdG

Here is a link that might be useful: more pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is wrong with my maple??

..."i mist the tree everyday and water the soil"...

You're not watering everyday are you? If so, you are drowning it. What kind of potting media is it in and are there drainage holes in that container?

tj

o
RE: what is wrong with my maple??

It is a Japanese maple of some form......no obvious graft and the size would lead me to believe it is just a seedling so straight species Acer palmatum.

Have you ever done bonsai before? Or cared for a tree in a container long term? It is not the easiest thing to do - container size and type, potting media, proper watering and irrigation are all critical elements and it sounds like you may not have a lot of first hand knowledge of these issues. Is there a nursery close by that can give you some instruction on bonsai or container care?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here