Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onikoroshi

ForestFarm Japanese Maple disappointment

onikoroshi
15 years ago

After reading about the great reviews Forest Farm had I decided to order a couple of Japanese Maples from them since my local nursery only had Coral Barks, red leafs, and bloodgoods. So my Seiryu and Emperor 1 5 gallon trees arrived today. I was anxiously awaiting their arrival and when I finally opened the boxes I was severely disappointed.

The 5 gallon maples I saw at my local nursery were much bigger. These appear to be the same size as the 2-gallons I saw there. Here are some pics, am I just crazy or am I justified in my reaction?

Emperor 1

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/360033ee50.jpg

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/f4f38f41e4.jpg

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/e64e1710d4.jpg

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/7a65883705.jpg

Seiryu

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/e072176a4c.jpg

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/93642b9842.jpg

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/407d6ebd97.jpg

Comments (14)

• arktrees
    15 years ago

Add you experiences both positive and negative to Davesgarden Watchdog. I'm sure you looked there for reviews, since you mentioned reading reviews, just make sure to add yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Watchdog

• noki
    15 years ago

I have not ordered any Maples but I have read all the good raves about Forest Farm so I have made a few orders, and been quite disappointed. I ordered two 5 gallon conifers, and one was 1 to 2 feet shorter than described while the other tree had branches only on one side and the tree could not stand up on it's own, it was a few years from even being halfway normal. The other plants I got were pathetic, looking like forgotten plants left in a out of the way corner. Paid alot for shipping which was disappointing because the size scale they used seemed to mean little, paying for dirt that the trees had not even started to grow into while the tube size were totally rootbound. Oh well, "mailorder" is always a risk.

• onikoroshi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Arktrees: Garden Watchdog was the reviews I was referring to. I was skeptical about ordering online but there were so many good reviews I decided to try it. I paid $200 for two 5 gallons but feel like I only got a couple of 2 gallon trees with sparse branches.

Noki: Did Forest Farm do anything to rectify your order? A store credit / partial refund?

Forest Farm was quick to reply to my complaint but haven't offered anything to remedy the situation. They told me that their growing season is about 4 weeks behind so the tree should leaf out but that still doesn't explain the fact that the trees I got were very small. The girth of the trunk of the trees are only the size of a normal 2 gallon but with fewer branches. They say there is no deception since they list the trees as 4-5' but they are both just under 4' with a very small trunk.

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Next time try Topiary Gardens. The trees are very healthy, robust, and there is no rip-off. Most are about $35.00 and you get a 2-3ft. tree, depending on the variety. These are grown in New York, and have been exposed to harsh winters and hot, humid summers; so I think they're better acclimated to what many of us experience as weather.

If you're on the west coast you can try EastFork nursery or Greer Gardens. I've gotten some beautiful plants from both sources.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

First, in the nursery industry, a 5 gallon plant doesn't necessarily denote a specific size. It is much more closely related to the age of the plant and corresponding root development. You will get variously sized plants all available in 5 gallon containers - it depends on the specific plant, the grower and the growing conditions they provide.

That said, it is not unreasonable to have 5 gallon mail order plants smaller than their counterparts in local retail nurseries.....it's kind of a fact of mail order life :-) If given the choice, I would always go with picking my trees out in person so I could confirm what I am getting but not everyone has that option if local nurseries offer limited stock. Looking at your photos briefly, the trees seem relatively reasonably sized, well formed and quite healthy. I'm not sure I'd be overly disappointed in these........

Where are you located? Perhaps we could offer some better sources more locally.

• herman_neutics
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. I ordered 2-5 gal 'Matsugaes' from FF and they were shockingly large. Another time I received a large Acer pentaphyllum. I had an issue once and they took care of it with alacrity.

Bonzaibob on ebay sells nice plants as does Pagesrun.

• jean001
    15 years ago

You wrote: "...was quick to reply to my complaint but haven't offered anything to remedy the situation..."

The logistics of a complaint letter/email is to tell what the problem is, then to offer one or more choices for a remedy.

In other words, you might specifically ask for a replacement or a refund.

If you don't request a specific remedy, the recipient of the complaint needs do nothing more. In your instance, they did reply with an explanation for the small size.

• arktrees
    15 years ago

Just because they provide an "explanation", doesn't necessarily absolve them. An explanation is fundamentally an excuse. And excuses is nothing more than a claim as to why things are not as expected. The question becomes is the expectation/expectations reasonable, and the expectations/excuse valid. And that can vary with the individual. However the original poster is not happy with his purchase, and is entitled to express those opinions, as it is for the seller.

However the point of view it is the buyers responsibility to "ask" for resolution is invalid in my opinion. The buyer is fundamentally asking for resolution when they report a problem. As a seller, the seller is asking you to buy something from them. When the buyer does buy something, they are exchanging value (money) for value (here plants) with certain expectations. When the buyer does not receive those expectations, since it is the seller which was asking for the transaction to begin with, it makes them responsible for offering a possible solution after being made aware of a problem. The buyer by making the seller aware they are not happy (did not receive perceived fair value in return in their opinion) is fundamentally asking for resolution. So when the original poster stated "was quick to reply to my complaint but haven't offered anything to remedy the situation", then they are being reasonable in expecting some suggestion of resolution IMHO. I'm sure many sellers would take the point of view that it is not their responsibility, but that is simply logically invalid in my point of view, and regardless fundamentally occurs when the buyer complains. When they complain, they ARE asking for resolution.

JMHO

• jean001
    15 years ago

It was said "When they complain, they ARE asking for resolution."

I know you won't like to hear this, but what I stated is the etiquette of a complaint letter. You can find such an explanation in guidelines for business communications.

So, as I noted, if the customer wants a remedy/resolution, s/he should request it. That is, must specifically state what s/he wants to happen. As in "Please send a replacement."

• arktrees
    15 years ago

Why would I "won't like to hear it"? I have no problem with you having your opinion, but it's not fact. I laid out a point of view and supported it with logic, and points about communication. I really don't care about "guidelines for business" which exist for business benefit. Its not like we run into circumstancse everyday where business tries to add extra fees, or creative interpretation of language conter to normal meaning, or add a bunch of intentionally difficult to read fine print, or claim no responsibility when THEY lose YOUR paperwork.... oh wait.... nevermind.

My position remains unchanged. JMHO

• plants77
    15 years ago

RE: First, in the nursery industry, a 5 gallon plant doesn't necessarily denote a specific size. It is much more closely related to the age of the plant and corresponding root development.

True, But I'd bet the roots in those are not so developed as to even fill out the container, which is extra important mail order because the seller is charging you to mail dirt. Overall your order doesn't look like a great value -- I bet both were grafted 3 years ago since those are vigorous trees as japanese maples go, although you weren't ripped off either.

I recently repotted some 2 gallons trees bigger than that were far from being root bound.

Did they ship them with those big property stakes in the pot? I hope they were potted with the sticks in there, and that it wasnt jammed in after the fact. What do they have against a bamboo stake? That doesn't seem like a good practice.

But having said all that I like forest farm. And the plants are alive so not a total loss - they will grow quickly. And they certainly aren't root bound which larger plants at a local nursery may be...

• onikoroshi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After talking with Ray from Forest Farm, we agreed on a $15 price adjustment on each of the trees. It's been a few weeks since I first got the trees and they have been leafing out. They look much better than when I first got them but they are still fairly small in my opinion. Credit to Forest Farm for working with me, their customer service is top notch. Here are some pics from today.

http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/54fcede989.jpg
    http://www.showpicsonline.com/photos/uploads/f3d1437572.jpg

• herman_neutics
    14 years ago

I'm glad to hear you're pleased with how things resolved Oni.

Your plants look healthy.

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

Nice of them to work things out with you. While they are on the smallish size, it's not a disaster especially with $15 discount. I usually use mail order for plants that I can't find locally - you'll usually get a better deal in purpose and not have to pay shipping, etc.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH