Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justme4now

Shaina JM Dying Off Slowly?

justme4now
14 years ago

I bought this Shaina JM last year .. from a reputable nursery.

It was gorgeous and completely filled out and covered with tight, small branches and red leaves.

Right before winter moved in, the leaves, at the top starting curling up and wilting.

The branches started drying up and dying after the leaves.

Winter came and went and now .. This is how the maple looks!

The JM gets plenty of sun and not too much or too little water.

I have three other JM's that are doing fantastic .. a Fireglow, Beni Otake and a Oshio-Beni.

All of them are taken care of in the same manner and all are planted in the same soil which is clay.

I just don't know why the Shaina is the only one with this problem?

Should I prune off all of the dead growth and if I do .. Do you need to 'paint'/seal the ends of each cutting?

Thank You and .. I am sorry if the pictures aren't all that great, I'm a terrible photographer!

JM

Comments (8)

• justme4now
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These are a couple of pictures of my Fireglow, taken last year.

I got this tree about five years ago from the same nursery as the shaina and at approximately the same size.
    (The fireglow is about 8 feet tall now)

My other maples, (which I don't have pics of yet) are doing just as well as the fireglow .. It is only the shaina that is or has ever been 'sick'.

• jean001
    14 years ago

Perhaps it ran short of water last year.

As for cutting out the dead stuff, No Paint or seal needed.

• justme4now
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You for your help but .. I always make sure that my plants and most especially the maples are watered properly.

Even though I don't rely on them 100%, I use one of those "electronic moisture testers".

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Lilac blight (Pseudomonas) and verticillium wilt are common on Japanese maple cultivars, cause blighting off like this.

I've quit buying them.

• justme4now
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have studied up on verticillium wilt and it doesn't look like it but .. I still have my fingers crossed!

When jean001 mentioned the lack of water .. I got to thinking: There was a relatively Hot period right after I got the maple and I was away for a few days.

Maybe the larger and more mature trees were able to take the heat a little better than the newly planted Shaina?

Just a thought.

• davidv
    14 years ago

I have found Shaina to be very finicky. In my area (central jersey) it does not do well in windy areas or winter over very well. I always have to find some protected areas for them. I gave up on them and try to grow the "Royal", or "Fireball" which both are very bright red witchbrooms and tolerate the winter with no die backs.

Dave

• kaitain4
    14 years ago

My Shaina did the exact same thing. Only one branch was left alive. I pruned off the dead stuff and it has now come back to some degree and looks OK; although at 1/2 the size it was originally. I'm trying 'Fireball' to see how it stacks up. So far, no die back at all.

• davidv
    14 years ago

The originaly 3 fireballs that I had did extremely well in the sun without any burns and weathered the winter nicely. My only problem was when I moved them and the rest was history on those 3.

Mary Cathrine or Carl's Corner are also good plants. I am told that they are one in the same plant.

Dave