Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycynthias

New baby, please help me care for it!

nycynthias
14 years ago

Hello all, I am new to the maples forum, usually hanging out in veggies/potagers. This winter we had a series of severe storms including one that knocked a 70 foot ash tree right down on top of my prized 20+ foot red Japanese Maple! I believe it was a Bloodgood. It's split and the crown is completely gone, so now I'm just waiting for the undertaker (ie tree pruner) to come and remove the trunk. We're just incredibly sad about the loss of this gorgeous feature in our landscape.

Well, today as I was working in a section of the yard I haven't been to for a while, I found a tiny JM seedling. It's a little less than a foot tall, and is already showing a great deal of lovely blood red color. I would LOVE to transplant it (pot it?) and start taking care of it, in hopes that I can someday replace its beloved parent.

I have read all the threads I could find here on young Japanese Maples, but most of them seemed to deal with germinating seeds as opposed to digging up a "field grown" young tree and nurturing it. Can someone with experience please help me out here? I would be heartbroken if I disturbed this little tree and then lost it, so at the moment I have left it where it is, until I can get some solid advice from those more knowledgeable than I.

I'm in NY Zone 6. Thank you in advance!!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville