Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Postscript: A week after the freeze....

Posted by bkfisher z5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 20:55

I'm bummed. Not trying to be hasty or hysterical but it appears my Tsuma Gaki and Seiryu could be toast. The Tsuma Gaki was planted last late summer and the Seiryu just a month ago(I know...stupid.... should have kept it in a pot until danger past).

Both quite suddenly have major areas of dreaded greyish-tan in the upper branch areas. I'm not talking simply the new growth. These are major branches. The healthy plum/green color left these areas incredibly quickly; seemingly overnight or at most a matter of days.

Given that I'm a novice at growing these can the trees be salvaged even in spite of what appears could be some major, extreme pruning? The Tsuma Gaki is probably 30 inches tall. The Seiryu on the other hand is almost 50 inches tall and has multiple branches.

Looks like I picked a bad time to plant numerous maple trees.... all young and all last summer/fall.

bkfisher

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Postscript: A week after the freeze....

Sad to hear...maybe they can be salvaged.

o

On a more possitive note your damage seems to be at the upper ends of your tree ...as long as the trunk above the graft is not effected you may be ok if it turns grey or black then it's likely toast otherwise you probably will have a new small tree by summers end..keep your fingers crossed and don't get out your shovel or chain saw just yet ...at the same time it doesn't sound promising ..yah you jumped the gun but mistakes happen ...buying older established tree shows good instincts ...planting it that early ...well live and learn David

o

Give them time. Most trees have a remarkable ability to come back from natural stresses. My crape myrtles seem to get hit by late freezes about every 3 years or so, and they've always come back strong. I've seen trees totally defoliated by catpillars in the middle of summer and survive just fine.

You may lose some branches, but I would be very surprised if your trees are totally gone.

o

• Posted by noki OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 23:25

Here is a 'Falls Fire' JM in Ohio

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 8:42

Hi Noki,

I have several that look like that to. I have about 15 cultivars and will post their conditions in about 2 week when I get a better indication of the long term damage each has.

BK Fisher, I actually dug the Tsuma Gaki I have after the first night of cold weather and before the real cold weather hit. Mine still looks somewhat stunted by the cold. From all indications it is a tender plant and may end up being a better pot culture plant in the midwest. David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here