Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Does anyone have Acer palmatum 'Orangeola'

ricksample
12 years ago

When I purchased this I understood that it would show some green throughout the year. However, the one I received this past week was totally green. Maybe 1 or 2 leaves had somewhat of a reddish tint. It's probably the correct plant, I'm just wondering how red this stays throughout the growing season. Maybe mine was just in to much shade at the nursery? Any dated pics would also be great!

The reason I ask is because where this is being planted, I need a red lace leaf maple to contrast against the green conifers. If it stays green for a month or so at a time, I was thinking about getting Acer palmatum 'Crimson Queen' as the replacement.

Comments (9)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Mine is just leafing out and its green with reddish tints. I bet it will redden up with more sun and as the leaves develop.

If you really want contrast 'Red Dragon' is the better selection from what I understand (better heat/sun tolerance).

'Baldsmith' is supposed to be a good one too.

• zencalc
    12 years ago

Looks like kamagata to me. Definitely not Orangeola. Mine is opening now and its orange to red to green with much smaller leaves.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I left it out in the sun the last couple days. It did darken up a little... I'll keep it ouside the rest of this week to see what happens. I plan to plant it Saturday (pending if it's more red then green). I just didn't want to plant it if later on it will revert to green for most of the season.

Will - I have Red Dragon, Fire Glow, Purple Ghost, Trompenburge. All of these are are a nice dark red and they contrast well with the green/blue/yellow conifers. Red dragon & Trompenburge are definitely above the other two in terms of a nice dark red throughout the entire season. Hopefully I can get Orangeola to darken up a little more.

• rufretic
    12 years ago

I just purchased one. From my research before deciding to purchase, it sounds like this dissectum is a multi color, not a red. Meaning it will have a lot of green all season long. It stands out in that the new growth is orange/red contrasting on the old growth that is green. I don't think it is the right choice for what your looing for. Although in the spring and fall I'm sure it will contrast very nicely with your evergreens. If you want all season red, there are many better choices.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks... actually it darkened up a lot. I received it totally green... no red at all. This is what it looks like now after about 5 days in morning sun. You can still see some green on the back part of it, this is the part that didn't receive much sun and was up against the wall.

The color is nice, it isn't nearly as dark as Red Dragon or a couple of my other ones, but it has a pinkish redish tone right now. I'm just curious to how long it will hold that red or if it will soon revert to green. If it reverts to green for a month during the summer before the fall colors, not a problem. I just didn't want it to spend 4 months of green color.

• cowlett
    10 years ago

Hey Rick,

I was looking at getting an orangeola also but want to know how long it holds it's red/orange color throughout the year and how long it is a green color for?

I was wanting more red throughout the year then green.

How did yours workout?

• clancy87
    10 years ago

I just bought one dorment but starting to leave out now. When doing customers gardens i'd say it holds red for well for were i am in scotland mid to late august to about mid to late november. Would say my crismon queen and definitely the red dragon hold a more colorful timely display.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

The color on mine holds through mid summer.

The one nice thing about it turning a bronzy green is that the second flush of red look REALLY nice with the older foliage.

• propman1983
    10 years ago

There is another dark red one called 'Inaba Shidare' which to me has really dark foliage, is a lace-leaf, and has much nicer habit than 'Red Dragon' or 'Crimson Queen'.

DAN