Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isee_gw

October Glory Maple Late Bloom

isee
10 years ago

I have an October Glory Maple tree that was planted in July 2013. It is about 12 feet tall with 3-4 inch trunk. It got scorch in Sept and I deep watered it and it seemed to recover. We had a very cold winter here in Houston with several days below 32 degrees.

This Spring it's been slow to bloom. I noticed in April the branches turned a reddish color and a few blooms showed up with a few helicopter seeds. Less than 20 or so in total. It has yet to sprout any leaves.

Any thoughts?

Comments (9)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

" We had a very cold winter here in Houston with several days below 32 degrees."

LOL

It is very common for plants that are stressed during flower production for next year to make fewer if any flowers than normal. The stress was being planted and acclimating to the new surroundings. July could possibly be the worst month to plant a tree in Houston as this is when the REALLY HOT summer weather kicks and stays which is most challenging for a newly planted tree. The only other month that may be as bad or a little worse would be August. It usually takes a couple years to get established and then normal flower production resumes. My OG is going into its 4th growing season and has yet to have a big crop of flowers but it's only a matter of time.

• isee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo of October Glory Maple from today. Note the low number of blossoms, seeds and no leaves.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I agree with j0nd03 - with a relatively recent planting and a stressful beginning at that, the tree is just taking some time to get settled and properly acclimated to its environment. I'd give it another season or two before I made any serious decisions about its success.

• isee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks the great responses. Very helpful

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

While this is a southern adapted cultivar I have to wonder if the climate there is giving it problems, with despite there having been some frosts this winter its dormancy requirement (minimum number of days below 40 degrees F. - whatever those are for this particular tree) not having been met.

That's what it looks like, a cold climate tree trying to function in a warm climate that does not have enough cold days in winter for it.

On another subject if it comes around and develops normally later it will produce a large tree over 60 ft. tall. Is that what you had in mind for that spot?

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

Since the native range of acer rubrum goes nearly down to the Florida Keys where there are quite a bit less chill requirements to go around than even Houston, I think it is significantly more likely transplant stress is responsible for the lack of flowering this year

• allen456
    10 years ago

I think it's quite common with recently planted Acer Rubrum. By the way, didn't you plant it kind of close to the house? You realize the mature spread is going to be a good 40', right?

• Sequoiadendron4
    10 years ago

I was wondering the same thing Allen. More wondering what the roots are going to do to that beautiful driveway..

I have a Acer rubrum Red Sunset and while it was establishing itself, it never got a nice full bloom. This year is its fullest bloom yet and it's on its 5th season.