Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need help identifying please

Posted by kendal 8 PNW (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 21:31

I have these maples, all given to me by various clients whose yards I took care of. I would appreciate it if anyone can help me identify them; I know they are dissectums, just don't know which variety.

This one I found growing about 8 feet from my Crimson Queen, it has 7 lobes:

This one has a 5 lobe leaf.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need help identifying please

I think the red one is a Bloodgood, but wanted a second opinion. Here is another picture of it.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 28, 08 at 23:22

There are hundreds of named forms of Japanese maples, some closely similar to one another. If yours are vegetatively propagated named forms then you may have to show multiple leaves and even fruits (when these start to appear) to make identification possible. If these are instead seedlings - you say you found the one as though it is a spontaneous seedling - then they have no specific names as they are unnamed seedlings rather than clonal cultivars.

o

And FWIW, 'Bloodgood' is not a dissectum, but has what is considered a rather large leaf for a J. maple.

o

Garden, I thought so too, but I'm looking at a page of where they list the names, and in the upright maples they show a Bloodgood that looks exactly like mine, but earlier this week when I googled Bloodgood I saw something entirely different, like you described and it didn't even look like what I am looking at now, but I do see the difference in my Crimson Queen vs the seedling I found in the above picture.

bboy,

Then the maple seedlings I found around the neighbors own maple tree would be a different variety then theirs? In order for it to be the same it would have to be a graft taken from said tree? These are all Bonsai in training, so when listing them I would only list them as Japanese Maples, variety unknown?

Here is a link that might be useful: Worldplants

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 21:18

Yes, they are not entitled to cultivar names as they are not the same clones. Variable seedlings of 'Bloodgood' have been sold in its place many times but these are not correctly called by that name. You will probably see some photos showing one or more of these seedlings instead of the true item.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here