Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damaged AP Tamakeyuma

Posted by garp1 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 21:35

I read through the wholesale slaughter thread a week ago. i thought i was spared in Zone 5. My 2 inch calipre AP Tam was not leafed out..ah but now only the bottom 1/3 is leafing..the top looks dead.

Are folks waiting longer for secondary growth? Should i prune the "presumed dead" branches. It will drastically change (ie ruin) the character of the tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damaged AP Tamakeyuma

I'd wait a little longer to get a better idea of how far back the limbs are dead.

As I mentioned before, the sap may have frozen under the bark. This has indeed happened to my mothers 'waterfall' (but not my trees since they were in garage), and limbs up to finger size have been completely blackened on the tops and sides.

However, it is still difficult to tell exactly the extent of the damage so I would hold off a little longer to prune hardened wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here