Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Blaze in Orlando Florida

Posted by ruas 9B (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 21:52

I've just moved south to Orlando (from VA) and really want to plant an Autumn Blaze maple here. Anybody has any idea if it's possible? And if it is, does it have any red leaves during the fall? (even though we don't have the Fall season here, I guess).
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Blaze in Orlando Florida

I have a 30 foot "October Glory" red maple in my front yard that was planted 7 years ago and has done great since it was planted. It turns bright red around Christmas time, is bare for about a month and gets its leaves back in mid February. Seeing that Autumn Blaze is the same species just a different cultivar, I would think it would do fine here. Some varieties are more heat tolerant than others though, so check with the nurseryman to see if that particular type would do well here.

o

I stand corrected, "Autumn Blaze" is apparently a hybrid between silver maple and red maple so its cultural requirements my differ significantly for "October Glory". I'd go with the "October Glory" though, it turns a beautiful deep red, does well in central Florida, and the color lasts for a good amount of time.

o

Autumn Blaze will be a much larger tree than October Glory. Also much faster growing. The October Glory will have brighter fall color. The Autumn Blaze may not color much at all except in unusually cold years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here