Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crcash2

Root Flare on young Bloodgood

crcash2
13 years ago

Please view the attached picture of the root flare on the young Bloodgood Japanese Maple. I have two other JM's in my yard and they do not have this issue. What could be causing this? Can it be corrected if need be?

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

My yard is a gentle slope, part of a long one. Sometimes/someplace I get a good amount of water flow. I have a couple trees the ground just seems to want to wash away from. Usually I try to keep the roots right at ground level with an extra handfull of dirt from time to time.

Am I correct yours is in a pot? Any chance the dirt is settling? I can't see frost heave being an issue.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Just looks to be planted a little too shallowly. Adding a small amount of soil to raise the soil level is all that is needed.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Leaves awful green for 'Bloodgood'. Inferior seedlings are sold in its place, maybe you got one of those.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    13 years ago

That look is part of the attraction! No harm is being done.

• brettay
    13 years ago

What's the problem? This looks perfect! It is good to have a bit of the flare above the ground. It prevents disease that may affect this part of the tree if planted too deeply.

-Brett

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County