Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Beautiful Maple Has No Leaves

Posted by jackiemaryland MD (7) (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 22:42

It's late April and every tree in the neighborhood has leaves except my gorgeous big maple - not sure which kind. I can take a picture and email you if you need. It must be about at least 30-50 years old and has been healthy as long as we have lived here (10 years). It had some stingy, fingery leaf buds and only about a dozen leaves.
I was going to call an arborist - there is a good one in the area that will try to convince the homeowner to save the tree before taking it down - but I wanted to see if anybody had any ideas.
We had unheard of snow this year - normally we get only about 1' per year cummulatively. We had over 3' in a 24 hour period and then another 1' a day later in February. Maybe this had something to do with it.
We would be heartbroken if this tree was dying.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks.
Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Beautiful Maple Has No Leaves

:( Sucks.

I'm assuming a 40 year old maple is about 50 foot tall? Is the tree overhanging your house or anything important to you?

If not, waiting a few months will be a good indicator if it is dead. No leaves by July4th would seem like a dead or too close to dead tree to me.

o

Is it a Japanese maple? (You say you're not sure)

My Japanese maples are leafing, but the big Sugar maples aren't as far along.

Josh

o

Have the exact same situation. Tree trimming guy says wait a little bit to see if it leafs out more, but he thinks it will have to come down as its probably dying. Should I have an arborist look at it? Will be heartbroken if it has to go- my children used to climb in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here