Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identify Maple Tree (Autumn Blaze?)

Posted by rhdins UT (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 23:12

I have two maple trees in my back yard that I really like. There are a handful of aspens that I don't like. Anyway, I'm getting rid of the aspens and I want to plant the same kind of maple, but I can't decide what type it is exactly. I've narrowed it down to Autumn Blaze, or Armstrong, or Silver maple.

They don't get any fruit/seeds, the leaves start out red, turn green in the summer, and then red again in the fall. I'm leaning towards Autumn Blaze, but it has qualities of an armstrong maple too. I don't think it looks very columnar though, so that is why I'm thinking it's an autumn blaze.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Maple Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identify Maple Tree (Autumn Blaze?)

Stay away from anything that has silver maple genes, which includes Autumn Blaze. I would look into October Glory if I were you

o
RE: Help Identify Maple Tree (Autumn Blaze?)

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of the Freeman maples - they are widely planted across much of the country and Autumn Blaze is perhaps the most widely sold and planted maple cultivar in the world. The freemans combine the best features of both species - red maple and sugar maple.

Based only on your description and the form of the tree, I'd guess Autumn Blaze as well. Not nearly tightly columnar enough for Armstrong. But it would take an examination of the tree in proper leaf together to be assured of a correct ID.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here