Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccl1968

Calling Japanese Maple experts- which reds stay red?

ccl1968
9 years ago

Hi all,

I was looking for a JM that would stay red spring, summer and fall. I did some research on this, and came up with a list. A wholesaler was dealing on JMs locally, and I sent him my list. He delivered two Tamukyamas that were gorgeous, but mostly green with some bronze. He said the reason they were green was because they were in the shade at his farm. He saw my location (mostly shade, some sun) and said he didn't think they would turn red because they were not in full sun. I ended up purchasing them because they were of beautiful structure. They did turn a scarlet red in the fall, which was very nice. But I am thinking I was somewhat duped. I know there are various cultivars of Tamukyama, but I am thinking it should not be all dark green/slight bronze right now. I just found some Crimson Queen at Lowes (I know.. ) AND a Tamukyama that is also just as red. My other JMs do great in my shaded yard, and I want some that will be red all growing season as well. So my questions are:
1. Is it true that a cultivar that is supposed to be red during the entire growing season will green/bronze out if in too much shade?
2. Is it possible to trust that an accurate variety is represented buying from a big box store (such as Lowes)? I COULD go with a JM nursery, but cannot afford the $200-300 pricetag.
3. Does the trunk color make a difference? All the "reds" I have seen have green trunk- maybe grafted?

Thanks,
CCL

Comments (4)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I find some bronze in too much sun and heat. However, they do need some sun, morning or evenings, to keep the brightest colors.

That said, Fireglow stays gorgeous. Red Dragon, Trompenburg, Dissectum Nigra, Nuresagi, Garnet, Red Crusader, Lozita, Crimson Queen, Red Pygmy, Red Emperor, Chantilly Lace, Burgundy Lace, Octopus, Toyama Nishiki, Crimson Carole, and Okagami, come to mind at the moment.

I've got a lot more reds that remain red. Shade is factor, but I've not experienced what you've been told. They do darken or brighten as the season goes by. As a matter of fact, though, I have almost no shade. Tornadoes took down my only 2 shade trees. What I have left pretty much needs full sun.

This post was edited by CEFreeman on Sat, May 3, 14 at 14:57

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

1. Yes, this is true. It is also true that some red leaved cultivars will 'bronze' out in too much sun. Ideally, you will want to site just about any Japanese maple with morning sun/afternoon shade or filtered or dapped all day shade. All red leaved JM's will develop the best leaf color if they get at least a few hours of direct sunlight.

2. I would trust ONLY plants from known reputable growers and retailers of Japanese maples. And even then, there can be tagging or ID errors. Box stores buy in bulk from whatever vendor offers them the best deals. These are not always the most scrupulous of growers and have been known to sell seedling JM's by cultivar names - a HUGE no-no! Box stores also tend to have only the most common cultivars whereas independent garden centers that specialize in JM's will offer a very wide and high quality selection. It is a bit of a case of you get what you pay for :-))

3. No. Trunk color has little to nothing to do with foliage color.

btw, 'Tamukeyama' IS a cultivar. There is just one with that name and ALL Tamukeyama's should look the same.

• ccl1968
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your responses. CEFreeman- I see that bronzing with my neighbor's JM that is in full sun most of the day. I am surprised it survives because we have ~25% 100F+ days during the summer. I have a bright green JM in my mostly shady back yard. I had it in a place that got more sun, and it was starting to get scorched in the summer, even with deep watering. I moved it to more shade, and now it is very happy.
    Gardengal48- thanks for your answers. I totally agree about "you get what you pay for". But I I think am going to take the risk with the Crimson Queen at Lowes because it is of gorgeous condition and form (just went and looked again today, and picked out two large ones that I will pick up Friday). The red is very vibrant as well, not the "purple" that I tend to see at big box stores. I realize I am taking a risk, and worst case, I may have to gift them to a friend if they green out. Also, I am having adjacent trees trimmed so that there is more dappled sun in those areas. Keeping fingers crossed!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

I admit to being confused about red bark on a Crimson Queen. The only red bark I've seen is on Coarl Bark and their hybrids.

Post some pictures!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living