Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving an in ground tree

Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 23:31

I planted a Fireglow maple about 9 months ago. It's happy, it's nearly doubled in size - and it's in the wrong spot. I need to move it. I'm sure I should wait for winter dormancy to do that, but is it POSSIBLE to move it in Summer? Part of me wants to do it now before its roots spread out any more than they have already! Or will I damage it and I would be an idiot to move it now, and doing it in winter will be the best thing for the tree...?

Melinda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving an in ground tree

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 17:05

I would move it as soon as possible. After only nine months in the ground the root ball should still be small and tight enough to move rather easily.
Mike

o

• Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 20:56

Really? I was expecting to be told to leave it until winter... OK then, I'll go out in the morning and start digging the new hole!

Thanks Mike!

o

Early April is hardly summer, even in CA :-) I live in a pretty balmy zone as well and only one of my JM's has fully leafed out at this time. You should still be able to move without doing harm to the tree. If it was any better established than 9 months, I might choose to wait but moving now is very similar to just planting the tree in the first place. Just keep an eye on watering this season.

o

• Posted by minflick 9b/7, Boulder Creek, (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:21

No, I know it's not Summer, but all 3 of mine ARE fully leafed out, or nearly so. Not all leaves are fully flat, but they're all past the bud stage.

I moved it this morning. I got a root ball about a foot across, I don't think I cut any roots while doing so, and it's just 7 feet further down the fence line than it was yesterday. It's on the shadier and wetter side of our property - the dirt is BEAUTIFUL thick black stuff over there - so I expect it will be plenty happy. It was in a 3-gallon pot for about 3 years, then a half wine barrel for nearly a year, then the first location for 9 months or so, and now it's been shuffled over a little bit.

So, thanks guys! You gave me the confidence to get out there and dig some holes!!!

Melinda

o

I have similiar problem. small JM (trunk about pinky size and about 2 1/2' tall, in ground since last september. Need to move to another part of same bed. Ok to do now (May 1st) in South Carolina or should I wait until fall.

Posted this question on a seperate thread - hope I get some info soon if I should do it now!

Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here