Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

Planting big tooth maple advice

tcharles26
17 years ago

Last august I bought an expensive big tooth maple. It's in a large plastic nursery container. It's probably 10 feet tall, but the trunk is narrow. It's a wimpy tree.

I meant to plant it this fall but was working on some other landscaping projects and was not sure where it would go. I've got that all figured out now and its going in the ground this weekend. (I realize its not the perfect time to plant a tree, but it's long over due and the tree is not vigorous in the nursery container.)

Someone please advise me on the best planting practices for this young tree, given my parameters. I'm in zone 8. The site will get full sun. Its hot here in south central Texas and the soil is poor and alkaline. I'll dig a huge hole, but what kind of soil should I plant in? Rich inorganic matter, like MG tree and shrub soil, or poor like cheap top soil that probably isn't much better than my yard? Any other thoughts? These trees do well in the Texas hill country (north san antonio is hill country) but are not frequently planted here in the city. It should be excellent when it grows up a little. But I'd like to start it properly.

Comment (1)