Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Lions Head Maple?

caliloo
14 years ago

I looked at one at my local Box Store today, and I think I am kicking myself for not buying it. It is about 3 - 4 feet tall and was $70. Should I make a special trip to go back and get it? Can I keep it in a container or should it be in the ground? Also, the tag says morning light, dappled shade - how much sun can it tolerate?

LMK - I think it might be my Mothers Day present to myself!

Thanks

Alexa

Comments (6)

• brettay
    14 years ago

I have three of these and they are fairly mature specimens. They are great trees and right at the top of the list of my favorite Japanese maples. They are quite expensive as they are slow growing trees, so that price is very reasonable. Mine are in full sun all day (zone 9b) and get almost no leaf burn. Highly recommended.

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So here is the one I DID end up with! I went to the other box store (same name) that is in the other direction from my house and got one that is about 5 feet tall. I am 5' 5" and if I straighten it a bit it is eye level. The thumbnail is clickable...

Do I need to prune it to encourage more branching or do I fin a spot where I need vertical interst?

Full sun in 9B. Sounds like I could put this one just about anywhere! BTW you mentioned it si slow growing, is it a good candidate for a large pot? It is in a 5 gal nursery pot now, but I want to give it room to stretch its toes fairly soon.

Thanks so much for your input!

Alexa

• brettay
    14 years ago

Congratulations. I think you will be very happy with it. The pruning is totally up to you and how the tree fits into its space, but that is one of the fun aspects of Japanese maples. They are very amenable to pruning and you can shape them to pretty much any size or shape you want. Just remember to prune in small amounts over time.

Shishigashiras do very well in pots. In fact, they are a very common bonsai specimen because of their slow grow rate and small leaves.

I will try to remember to post a picture of mine this weekend, so you can see what the future holds in store.

-Brett

• picea
    14 years ago

It is also one of my favorite japanese maples. Once established I am getting 8-10" of growth per year year in lot of sun. It also has great burnt orange fall color.

David

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the added comments. I hate to admit it, but I go out to just visit it and move it around to different garden spots until I find the perfect setting.

I am so pleased with this one!

Thanks for the info and encouragement!

Alexa

• jayco
    14 years ago

I love this cultivar, too, and have wanted one ever since seeing two mature specimens in a botanic garden. I think it's a great idea to move it around in its pot until you find the right spot -- you will be happier in the end!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert