Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

HELP! Should I rescue this Japanese Maple?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

I'm new to JMs (just planted my first Tamukeyama) but enthralled...

A lady in my town is giving away this Japanese Maple. It's been planted below a big maple, so my guess is the spindly habit is because it didn't get enough light. Perhaps, too, not enough nutrients/water due to the other greedy maple's feeder roots. The JM is 8-10 feet tall.

Do you think this JM can recover to have a pleasing, full shape within a couple of years? If I do decide to dig it and replant here, how would you recommend pruning it to encourage a pleasing shape?

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Move it to a better spot, give it good care (mulching etc.) and let it recover on its own, without being pruned much, if at all. Be sure it is at the right depth in the new location, keep the mulch off the stems.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you-
    I'm going to go look at it in person and see how hard it's going to be to extract from the big maple's roots. If I can manage, I'll rescue it and give it a good home.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I went to see this tree.... it's not bad in person. It seems healthy, it's just tall and spindly and leaning towards the light. I'm going to go dig it this week.

I have two possible locations in mind for it. Online research indicates that it likes "part sun to full sun". What's really optimum?

Here are my choices:

On the WSW side of the house, about 10 feet to the WSW of a one-story garage. To the south, 25 feet away, is a big, tall spruce. So, in summer it'll get totally full sun noon-sunset. In winter, when the sun is low, it'll be more shaded by that spruce. This spot is probably a bit more exposed to winds, since it's at the top of a long stretch of open yard (like 200') but in general is still pretty well protected.

The other spot is to the north of a row of tall firs, about 10 feet outside their dripline. it would get full morning sun for the first few early hours, then be partially shaded (dappled?) for the middle of the day as the sun moves around the tall fir trees (except at high summer for a few weeks), then after about 3:00 it'll get afternoon sun. Again, in winter because the firs are so tall, it'll be much more shaded. This spot is pretty well sheltered by the house and garage, fir trees, and hill.

In siting this tree, do you think I should assume it may still reach 25' diameter, even though it's not been trained in a horizontal manner at all? Right now it's about 8-10' high but only about 4' wide!! Trunk is about 2" across at the widest point.