Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Japanese Maple 'Atropurpureum' in zone 5: more SUN or less??

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

Hi folks,

I am "rescuing" a JM that was planted under a huge maple in someone's yard, it's tall and spindly and needs some TLC.

I am trying to choose which location in my yard to plant it. Online research indicates part sun to full sun... but what's really ideal?

One spot gets maybe 4-5 hours direct sun (in summer, less in winter) and the rest of the day gets filtered/dappled shade from tall evergreens.

The other spot, to the west of the garage, is fully shaded until about 11 AM, then full sun the rest of the day. So, in summer 7 hours full sun... less in winter (4-5??)

Both get more sun in summer than in winter, due to the low sun being blocked more by tall evergreens at the perimeter of the property. Neither is terribly exposed, wind-wise, although the less-sun area is more protected.

Which of these two spots do you think is better for this tree? I'd really like to give it the best conditions possible so it will settle in happily and start filling out -I hope!- sooner.

I would much rather plant it in the more-sun loaction west of the garage, if it'll be happy enough there.

Thanks!

Stacey

Comments (2)