Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplant Jap Maple

Posted by gigim none (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 8:50

I have a very small JM that I need to move. Trunk is about the size of my pinky finger and it is about 2 1/2' tall. I think the fall is the best time to move. Can anyone give me other advice to make this a success? I have read so many different points online. To prune top or not to prune? Burlap around root ball? How far out from trunk to dig? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant Jap Maple

You don't say what your location is or how long the tree has been in the ground but in my PNW zone 8 location I would move it now. A tree that small obviously hasn't been around too long and so the root system should still be compact and quite manageable. No pruning and no need to wrap rootball. Just prepare new planting home adequately first, move and replant ASAP. Water in well. Take as generous a rootball as you can manage - I'd start at about 8-10" away from trunk. With a large rootball it is easiest to just dig out the plant, lay on a plastic tarp and drag or have someone help you move to new location - this works for any woody plant.

If your temps have already warmed up a lot, wait until a cool, cloudy day and move as early in the day as possible. The tree may very well experience some transplant shock being moved now but if done carefully, no more so than if you were planting a new one. Just pay close attention to watering and provide some temporary shade.

o
RE: Transplant Jap Maple

Gardengal - I was hoping you would reply!

I am in SC, zone 8 and the temps are forecasted to be high 72 on weekend so I think I should be ok.

Will be happy to move it now ! Thanks for the guidance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here