Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horrible frost damage

Posted by lornas 5B (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 9:14

My Japanese maples suffered horrible frost burn just over a week ago and now these leafs are crisp and falling off. Will the trees put out new leaves an these branches or will it not be until next spring. Will these branches die?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horrible frost damage

depends on how cold it got. If only a light frost and above freezing temps or slightly below 32, you should experience a new set of leaves in several weeks. If the temps got down into the mid 20s or lower, there could be some serious stem damage which probably will not leaf out agAIN. I experienced a couple bouts of just below freezing temps - 28 was the lowest. All the top foliage was killed off, but has since leafed out a second time. Give it some time to re-adjust.
Marshall

o

Thanks. I think it got down to the upper 20's. All the damage is on the top outside leaves. If it is stem damage would we then prune off the damaged stems or wait to see if it comes back next year?

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 12 at 16:43

Scrape the stems to see if they are green. I had alot of stem dieback on mine. I can see some buds coming in lower at the stem. I'll just cut back 1/4" above that new set of buds.

o

lornas - give it some time to see how the tree will react - don't be in a rush to do any pruning at this point. I'd wait at least another month to see how much will leaf out again, then after you get new leaves, decide on what's not going to be viable.
Marshall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here