Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Wondering about jp. maple leaves this summer

suel41452
16 years ago

I have read that Jp. maples have 2 sets of leaves. My Jp. maples' first set of leaves died in the spring frosts, then they all re-leafed. Does that mean if they lose a lot of leaves this summer, say due to drought or some stress, the plant will have no "reserve" leaves left? And would that probably kill it? Just wondering!

Comments (6)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Good question and it also pretains to next winter also...these trees have been severely stressed...you tree may not releaf from summer heat but still do so next spring.or it may not make it through a severe winter..Others here may be better informed on this but basically we are all in the same unknown boat with this once in a lifetime situation.Most Jm's are a hardy sort and hard to kill under normal circumstances ( there are exceptions!!) and if it made it through this past debacle that is a good sign...but being pulmated over and over again by severe conditions does give us pause. David

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Also it depends on whether your new leaves were primaries that hadn't already opened or fully opened when the freeze hit or in fact secondaies ...My feeling is if they immediately re-leafed they are likely additional primary ones as many of mine came back FAST and I believe were... Then the secondaries "may" come out if you get blasted this summer...David

• suel41452
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanx for the info - I'll water them regularly & keep my fingers crossed!

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

I think the number of secondaries will be sufficient...but as David said assuming no more heavy stresses. You will likely notice secondary buds popping out in several unusual places that you wouldn't expect them to. I think this is because there are thousands of secondary buds spread throughout the tree.

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

I have a jp maple who lost its leaves during the summer heat. But as I pull out the dead leaves, new leaves appear.

It's Autumn now - other maples are turning color except for this one.

Why is that? I remembered last year, I experienced the same problem...instead of turing red in the autumn - the leaves defoliate in autumn like my roses.

I suppose the maple didn't absorb enough sunlight?

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

This can happen to certain trees if they experience heat stress. Draught strees during fall actually increases the fall coloring in most instances. However, I have seen several cultivars get brown tips so much they show almost no fall color due to the late summer heat.

The light issue could contribute to this as well, but it would be more evident in summer coloration than fall. Usually even red cultivars that green out in full shade flare back up fairly well in fall.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting