Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden treasure??

Posted by acanthus17 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 07 at 9:30

Hi, while weeding yesterday, a little spot of red caught my eye, and what should I find but what appears to be a Japanese maple seedling with its first two true leaves. I carefully potted it up so it wouldn't get flattened and am going to try to grow it on. My question is, what am I likely to end up with? I have an Osakasuki and a Tamukeyama that have both been in the ground for just over one growing season. The leaves on the new little baby look like Tamukeyama and are certainly red, at least at this point.

Also, I read that seedlings can grow one to three feet in their first year. Is that likely for this, given its likely heritage? Any pointers for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden treasure??

Well JM seedlings don't usually grow true to the parentage from seed, but you still could have something nice. There is really no way to tell what it will be at this point.

Having said that, if it is a red laceleaf, it will more than likely be a weeping or cascading form similar to 'tamukeyama'.

If you have an upright red laceleaf...you've found the "holy grail" of japanese maples that everyone is searching for...and you had better get a patent lawyer.

o

Ah don't worry you got plenty of time you won't know anything for 5 years or so ...with seedlings it takes at least 3-4 for them to show what they will be and more to be sure...as i always say it's like vegas ..you really will have no idea what you have delt in your hand ...it may look blaa or great...I'd say you need a "patience" coach not a patent lawyer ;>) david

o

Well, it'll be fun to wait and see. Although patience isn't necessarily my strong suit. :-)

How would you recommend I grow it on? Put it in a large pot once it's developed a little and then leave it alone? I was afraid to leave it outside at its present size, but once it's gotten bigger, should I grow it on outside? Maybe winter it over in my garage? Thanks.

o

Actually start with a small pot and change it out every couple of years or so. When it is small the garage wintering over might be a good idea...perhaps some folks from your area could give some advice there since I'm down south where heat is more of a problem.

o

Looking at the post about staking a weeping maple on this forum brings up another question. How soon would I know whether this seedling is an upright or a weeping form? With both in the garden, I suppose it could be either.

Susan

o

Several years to be sure...but if it has finely dissected leaves you can almost guarantee that it will be a weeping form.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here