Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinkster_gw

Shaina more suspectible to sudden death??

tinkster
13 years ago

Hello

I have received my dream of owning a JM. Although I had always wanted a weeping type, I love the look of Shaina that I got for mothers day. I have found a few posts that state shaina is very suspectible to sudden death? Is this true??? I will never be afford another tree so wanna make sure I am making the best choice and giving myself the best chance to keep one alive. Thank in advance for any advice.

tinkster

Comments (3)

• manbird1
    13 years ago

I also recently acquired an A.p. "Shaina" and am satisfied with its newly emerging growth. That tree almost looks like "Fireglow" which is also a dwarf cultivar similar to Shaina. The central leaf lobe isnt really that blunt like Shaina usually is, but I'm by no means an expert...

My particular tree is blazing red on the outside leaves and fades to a deep purple/green as you work towards the shaded center...only gets about 6hrs of direct morning/mid-day sun so I guess thats why its not as red as yours.

A touch of gentle pruning to clean up the base and expose the main trunk/trunks would make that tree sing!!

Oh yeah...about the sudden death thing. I also read the same stuff and dont know what to make of those claims. If mine is somehow genetically more "prone" to sudden death, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.It sure seems happy now...

If you havent been told already, plant your new tree in a spot that provides sufficint drainage. Japanes maples dont really do well in soggy, poor draining soil. Its also usually a good idea to provide some afternoon shade. Not to say you cant plant it out in all day sun, but protection from the hot afternoon sun usally makes 'em happy...all depends on where you live.

• mafle
    13 years ago

Most of the sudden death problems of 'Shaina' I have heard of come from areas subject to wet and cool spring weather. I think with the very dense foliage it appreciates a drier atmosphere than most Japanese maples. In most areas it likes plenty of sun and good air circulation around the leaves.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

It died for me, but I believe the site it was put on has atmospheric conditions that foster bacterial wilt (Pseudomonas).

The point of a cultivar like this is the foliage, with the habit not having so much interest - I would want that exposed base to get covered over by foliage, rather than go in and cut out branches and cause it too look even more gaunt. "Opening up the center" of trees and shrubs is not nearly as often an improvement as its proponents would have it be.

Since many Japanese maples have a lush-looking, dense outer layer of foliage - this leafiness again being much of the appeal - dead twigs often appear on the interior over time. Snapping these out by hand once they have become dry enough to permit this may really be the extent of pruning that is called for in most instances.

The Timber Press book Japanese Maples has a multi-page discussion of pruning. It seems Vertrees was hot on pruning them to control size, talks about this there. But, as he said in this treatment he was talking about keeping a collection of numerous different specimens contained on less than acreage.

Sponsored
Trillium Gardens, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars44 Reviews
Richmond Area's Trusted Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz