Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaning Maples!!

Posted by jskeyes2 z7 WA (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 07 at 10:19

I have four armstrong maples and one red sunset maple planted along my back fence. All look real healthy and full of leaves and growing well. All are about 10-13 feet tall.

Weather here has been nice this spring with good but not too much rain and mild temperatures.

All these trees are leaning over to some extent like they are top heavy - one armsrtong is almost completely horizontal. Seems to happen more after rain.

Should I be pruning my trees or staking them or something else? I did not stake them last year and nothing like this happened. Also, dont have 13 foot stakes, so I don't know if that would solve the whole problem.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaning Maples!!

Sounds like it is growing a bit too fast and was likely hopped up ( pushed ) excessivly by fertilizer when you got it giving a taller tree with a thinner trunk. No.. staking that way would not work but with rope and tree ties and a tall step ladder you probably could upright it easily ...it sounds like it might break in a strong storm with rain and alot of wind so that is what i would do ...others may have other ideas...david

o

It's almost never too late to stake a tree under 3 inches diameter. There are a lot of ways to stabilize. You would be surprised what some simple staking will do. Doesn't take much effort. As long as you stabilize from two opposite directions, you don't have to go up more than 3 to 5 feet, even for a 15+ foot tree. Get some strong stakes or 1 1/2" pressure treated lumber/strapping, some strong rope, wire or cable, some old hose pieces for cushions and a couple of sticks for tourniquets. You might have to adjust, re-stake, pull and tug over time, but unless the base of the tree and roots are stabilized, you will loose it. Act now before the top gets too leaf heavy and unmanageable.
Greg

o

Thanks all for the tips. I ended up getting some stakes to stabilize them all. The interesting thing is that the red sunset maple was not leaning until about 8 feet up - then just the leader was leaning over.

Anyway, they are all upright now, hopefully this will hold OK until they get a little stronger. I did not think that I put down too much fertilizer, but I guess I will watch it from now on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here