Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

JM cultivar suggestion zone 6b eastern Kentucky

I need cultivar suggestions for JM's that can take the most shade.

My area is tucked back about 15 feet in from the edge of some fairly dense white oak, red oak, hickory woods- typical eastern Kentucky hills. It will get some east to south morning sun, but not for more that two hours tops, and occasional spatterings throughout the day.

I have an Oridono nishiki in the same area that is doing very well, so I am hoping for something that will contrast nicely with that. Hoping for a green palmatum but variegated is acceptable as I know they are better in lower light. I just hate to duplicate what I already have. Prefer weeping to upright, smaller and shrubby is good. I think I could be interested in a fan shaped leaf as well.

Eventual size not over 10 feet, but I am a great pruner/staker and already have a high maintenance yard. Winter got to -20ºF once last year though that is not common and I can protect if need be. Summers hot and humid but my woods stay fairly well ventilated. Hoping for something that will pop in the lower light portions of the day and make a stunning architectural impact as this will be a focal point in a pet cemetery. Autumn coloration is not so much an issue.

If you need more info just ask.

And thanks!

Comments (3)

• mafle
    13 years ago

A few that do well in a fairly shady situation like you describe, are slow growing and fairly small, and are all quite different from each other, include the following (look them up and see if you like any):

Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' - round fan shaped yellow/green leaves.
    Acer palmatum 'Tsuma gaki' - the light green leaves have persimmon-red fingernails in spring.
    Acer p. 'Shigitatsu sawa' - Green and cream reticulated leaf.
    Acer p. 'Filigree' - A delicately colored dissected leaf cultivar.

As it is for a pet cemetary you might also want to consider the 'Ghost' series from Buchholz & Buchholz, 'First Ghost' and 'Sister Ghost' are said to look good in shade.

To be honest most of the green cultivars would do OK in the situation described, it is just the red/purple leaved forms which should be avoided as they color poorly in a shady situation.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I bought a three year Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum'.
    Wish me luck- from everything I have read I have just the perfect spot and soil conditions.
    I had been wanting one forever but let the finicky nature of the tree deter me. No more- no guts no glory!

• kaitain4
    13 years ago

C.

You will Love your A.s. 'Aureum'! They aren't as hard as people say, they just need some shade.

I talked to a 90 year old nursery owner in Seattle who specializes in that cultivar, and has an 18 foot specimen that you would die for!! She said the secret is not to over-water and NEVER any fertilizer. Maybe worm castings once in a while. NO FERT!!

My 'Aureum' is now almost 5 feet high and loves the shady north-east side of the house I put it on.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor