Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mynewyard_gw

Is my new Autumn Blaze maple in trouble? (Getting orange leaves)

mynewyard
16 years ago

We have just planted an Autumn Blaze maple in our front yard. A friend of ours does landscaping bought the tree for us, and was supposed to help us plant it, as we know nothing about trees, but she had to go out of town.

We planted it two days ago, and gave it some Miracle Gro she had given us (she said it would help with the shock to the tree?). This morning I was looking outside and I noticed some of the leaves on the ends of the branches are turning orange.

What should I be doing for the tree? How do I know if it's okay? I know she said some of the leaves got damaged in transport - she'd wrapped the tree but a portion of it came off, and the leaves got wind-whipped.

I've attached pictures. We do have clay in our front yard. My husband dug the hole slightly larger than the pot, and we backfilled with garden soil. We were going to cut away more sod today and lay mulch down around the tree. Should our hole have been bigger? What were we supposed to do with the roots? Our friend told us to take a little hand rake down the side of the dirt/roots after we took it out of the container to break up the roots before planting.

Here are pictures:

{{gwi:1039296}}

{{gwi:1039297}}

{{gwi:1039298}}

{{gwi:1039299}}

{{gwi:1039300}}

{{gwi:1039302}}

Comments (6)

• cubsfankc
    16 years ago

The tree looks fine to me. Some of that color is just new growth. The leaves will turn to green as they mature. I can't really tell from the picture but it looks like it may be planted a little too deep. You want to keep the top of the root ball at or slightly above the level of the ground. Don't add dirt on top of the root ball, just smooth the sides to level them with the ground by adding dirt around the sides if necessary. Then you can remove the sod around the tree and put a couple inches of mulch over the entire area.
    Everything else you did seems just fine to me...although some people will say not to fertilize new trees, I have never had any problems using miracle grow with any that I have planted. I might use some root stimulater instead though.

Hope this helps...and enjoy your new tree!!

Josh

• mynewyard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for responding. So even though those leaves weren't orange a few days ago, it's just new growth to them??

Would you recommend I pull the tree out and add more dirt underneath it to bring it higher?

• spruceman
    16 years ago

I agree the tree looks fine. Normally any transplant problem will result in severe wilting, not some color change.

Should you pull the tree out to add more dirt to make it higher? At this point I would say no--doing that will really stress the tree and maybe kill it.

But what you should do is make sure the tree is not planted too deep. To do that, push some of the soil away from the base of the tree until you get down to where the roots flare out from the base of the tree. There should never be any soil above the point where the trunk begins to flare out to the roots. The main risk associated with this is the development of extra roots above the root flare which can eventually strangle the trunk of the tree, killing it. These are called "girdling roots." It is possible that some girdling roots have already formed in the pot you got the tree in. What you should do when you remove the soil from above the root flare of the trunk is to take some kind of tool and scrape away from the trunk in all directions to make sure there are not any roots near the surface above the main roots that go out from the root flare that could circle the trunk of this tree. These roots can already have developed if the tree was planted too deep in the pot by the nursery. Sometimes roots that will eventually strangle a tree are not real close to the trunk when the tree is planted, but as the tree grows in diameter, and as the potentially girdling roots grow, the strangling can occur much later.

If you find that you have planted your tree a bit too deep, I think you should not pull out the tree to replant it, but just remove the extra soil from the base of the tree for a distance of about two feet. But you should not remove so much soil that the main roots that come out from the root flare are actually on the surface of the soil. If the tree as a result of this soil removal sits in a small depression, this should not be a problem for the tree. In fact, a small depression like this could make watering easier--the water will not run away from the tree as soon as you water it.

--Spruce

• cubsfankc
    16 years ago

It looks like you live in MN so it shouldn't be extremely hot up there yet. I think if you just planted the tree a few days ago, you shouldn't experience any serious problems from replanting it a bit higher. This would also give you a chance to check out the root ball for the girlding problem Spruce mentioned. Also, none of your roots have started to spread in just a few days, so you wouldn't be hampering their progress.

I actually did something similar to this (but much worse :-)) to a red sunset maple that was planted in my yard too deep. It had been in the ground for 1 and 1/2 years and was planted too deep. It was not showing any red fall color...I guess because it was struggling too much. I bought a new tree, dug this one out of the ground and laid it beside my house for a few days until my brother in law picked it up because he wanted a free tree and didn't care about fall color. Anyways, I helped him plant it correctly at his house, and two years later it is growing great and has beautiful RED fall color!!
    If that didn't kill my tree, I am sure that yours will be fine by replanting it. My only worry about doing what spruce said is that it is possible that erosion will eventually fill back in the soil that is removed and the tree will end up being too deep a few years down the line. Good luck in whatever you choose :-)

Josh

• LDC522_comcast_net
    12 years ago

Its August and in early July my 3year old Autumn Blaze maple tree has some branches turning orangy red. The trunk of the tree is getting wider and is losing its bark. Help is it dying?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Sorry for the bad news but I find the peeling of bark quite troubling.

Try to "surgically" remove the loose pieces. See how far around the tree it goes.

Any pics?

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor