Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help need JM ID so I can move to proper location

Posted by gigim 8A (My Page) on
Thu, May 2, 13 at 10:42

New house with Japanese Maple planted too close to house. Do not have alot of good options for a new location but need to know how big it will get to do the best I can. Any ideas on ultimate spread and height? About 2 1/2' tall now.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help need JM ID so I can move to proper location

Here is a pic of a leaf. Sorry could not figure out how to attach 2 photos to original posting.

o

Compare to Acer palmatum 'Crimson Queen'.

Height on these types of weeping dissectums is primarily determined by the graft - high grafts can get taller; low grafts tend to stay low.The sooner you remove the stake and allow the plant to assume its typical weeping habit, the sooner YOU help to determine ultimate height.

Spread is another matter altogether. Crimson Queen in particular has the abilty to develop a very wide spread with age - 12-15 feet is not uncommon. Site accordingly :-))

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images of mature 'Crimson Queen'

o

agree with gg...compare also to 'orangeola'

o

Interesting. Well, I do not have anywhere that it could be allowed to get 10 -12 feet wide. I guess I will move it to the best location I have and I guess I will have to keep the spread trimmed to fit.

Please explain about removing the stake and how that will allow it to weep. Does the main trunk start bending over ?

o

it does.... staking the main allows you to modiify or 'train' the height from what it would do naturally.....could be a tamakayeuma or even a red dragon ....regardless, moving it is a good idea.....ya know, pruning these every few years or so can easily maintain a 5 or 6 foot overall size...

o

So if I take away the stake it will start to bend over by itself? Or do I have to train it to bend? If I leave the stake it will grow taller? Getting taller is fine, up to a point.

o

from what i can see, that stake was for tree stability rather than training a leader vertically....so yes, remove it and it will attain its natural height on its own...whatever that is..a stake that "props up" a somewhat flexible leader encourages height by doing this as the branch hardens off in the taller than normal position...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here