Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

sprout below graft on JM (pictures)

tom8olvr
15 years ago

Hi, first time posting here - I just bought my first Japanese Maple - I LOVE IT! But I noticed that it has a sprout below the graft... do I just cut that off? do I have to seal the cut? Is there anything special I need to do??

Here's my little baby...

Here's the little sprout/sucker sprout:

Is there some way I can root the sucker? I kinda like the leaves on it... ?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips!

Comments (19)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Tom, nice tree. just snip that little sucker off close to the trunk,sometimes ill even follow up with a sharp grafting knife and carefully "clean up" a little, making sure not to increase the size of the wound,and no sealant is necessary. Leave that guy some room ! One day its gonna have some size to it. AL

• dawgie
    15 years ago

Lop it off. I usually catch suckers when they first start sprouting and just pinch them off.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

AlleyCat - how much room should I leave it??? It's a
    weeper, so I understand it won't get taller unless I train
    some of it's branches, but how wide do you think it'll
    get? I'd like to get it as far away from the house as
    possible (we've pulled out the shrub that is pictured
    behind it) but my signif other wants to have it closer to
    the house... I really love the shape of the tree now...
    And I've seen some of these in other's yards where they
    look fabulous and others where they've grown kinda ugly.

Any advice is appreciated.

• dawgie
    15 years ago

What variety is your JM? (Should be on the tag.) Hard to tell you much about height and width without knowing the variety. Most dissectums will grow wider than tall, with notable exceptions. Your tree WILL grow taller, whether you stake it or not, just not as quickly as most upright varieties.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Hey Tom, Im like Dawgie, lots of variables! A good place to start is what cultivar are you growing.You also have some 'say so' in the size; trimming,pruning and shaping can be quite rewarding.It will usually take a couple few years to be well established.After that, depending on the conditions, its on its way towards its potential. Start thinking now what you would like it, or your garden, or your yard to look like many years from now.But dont stress to much over it ,during the dormant season they usually transplant readily. Most important- enjoy your tree,year after year! AL

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alley Cat and Dawg -

I have a Acer Palmatum Dissectum Tamukeyama.

The more I get to know it, the more I like it. It's in the
    ground, no longer in the pot, now. And it seems to like its
    location - I have it in a protected spot. BUT I did notice
    that the green leaves (below the graft) died on their own. ??
    Is that normal? The rest of the tree looks fantastic.

So - how large does a Tamukeyama get?

Thanks for the help - Dawg and Cat...

• mattnova
    15 years ago

Tamukeyama Can take a good bit of sun and actually have better reds in it. It is a fine plant. I love the color of mine in full sun and its doing well. Tamukeyama is more of a upright dissectum than Crimson Queen. You may reach 4-6 ft tall fairly quick and mine is currently about 7 years old or more and is about 5 foot wide but I expect with time(many years) it will grow more. Size depends on staking, graft location, growing conditions, etc. I would say a good average mature height is 6-8 ft with width of 6-10ft.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think that size/dimensions will be PERFECT for the
    location I have it! I'm so excited! I can't wait to watch
    it mature. I love it now, though... I will take a better
    picture of it's location. Thank you! Thank you! Thank
    you.

I'm so inspired by this website... I'm contemplating Jiro
    Shirdare and waterfall now... !!! Yahooie!

• mattnova
    15 years ago

I have to say I am loving the waterfall I have. It was only a 3 gallon pot and has already put on about 8-10 inches of growth in 2 months! It has a gorgeous form and takes sun well for a green laceleaf.

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw a 'waterfall' at the nursery the other day - they said it was about 25 years old... and it was FAB-U-LOUS! I could hardly contain myself... the other 1/2 talked me out of it - it was a little expen$$ive... :) But if I could have something like THAT - Wow. It was just beautiful... I'm a patient grower, so it I have to wait several years I can - and I actually find that more rewarding... I grow all my plants from seed, etc. I'm on the hunt for a small waterfall and Jiro Shidare.

I live on a VERY shaded lot - so I need something that is tolerant of SHADE - I have Tamukeyama in a sunnier spot - dappled sun - so I think it'll be good where it is... Is waterfall and Jiro Shidare tolerant of shade, does anyone know?

• mjsee
    15 years ago

tom8olvr--

Waterfall will tolerate a fair amount of shade. It's a fabulous tree...

here is mine in fall of 2004:

{{gwi:28444}}

And in spring of 2007:
    {{gwi:21987}}
    It hasn't gotten all that much taller...but it has certainly gotten wider. And the fall color is to die for!

• blueberrier1
    15 years ago

Thanks for those 'delicious' pics-gives me stimulation and hope for my gift JM. Is that a Heuchera mass planting, mjsee?
    cj

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

I have Waterfall on my list too, but i got a Viridis this spring, and it is absolutely gorgeous! Very fine, layered, feathery effect of the leaves. New growth is tipped with apricot, which fades to yellow and then green. Fall color is yellow/orange. Can't wait to see the fall color!

K4

• mattnova
    15 years ago

Mjsee,
    What is that you have underplanted with your waterfall? Gorgeous tree and home from the part I see anyway.
    Matt

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mjsee - your waterfall is just beautiful!!

I am errecting a small fountain in the front yard, I've torn out a few trees and I can imagine a green, laceleaf maple (I'd love waterfall) growing near the fountain with dark mulch around it to accentuate the green leaves...

What do people think of Virdis - it seems more widely available than Waterfall..

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I planted my little love.

We had some nasty weather and now look at her:

The neighbors car port flew up and broke all her branches...

Now what?

And to make matters worse the neighbors bought as a REAL beauty and now the pressures on to keep her happy and healthy... Uhg!

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Nurse her back to health! And make the dumb neighbors pay for it!! How did their carport wind up in your yard?

I had a Viridis in almost as bad a shape that I rescued from a nursery, and it came back beatifully. Just don't give up on it. The roots are still perfectly healthy, and the top will grow back in time.

So sorry! That's a heartbreak! {{gwi:1039408}}Broken Viridis

K4

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

She looks like she might make it!!!

Ok, here she is

• kaitain4
    15 years ago

Tom,

I'm really happy that poor tree didn't die! That's wonderful news. Just keep up the TLC.

K4

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH