Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese maple - strange blooming behavior

Posted by maple_marc 6 (My Page) on
Sun, May 10, 09 at 11:41

I have several juvenile Japanese maples in containers left in my back yard year round.

One of them (a bloodgood of all things to be acting up!) only has about 10-15% of the leaves blooming thus far, and it's really weird: the blooms are in clusters at the ends of branches, and the leaves seem way too big for the size of the tree. Also the leaves are weighing down the ends of the branches in a strange manner.

Any thoughts?

The rest of the leaves seem to be finally starting to bloom with an appropriate size bud, but these clusters of big eaves have me stumped!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese maple - strange blooming behavior

First, I must correct you anatomical mistakes. Leaves, at least on Acer do not bear the flowers. On Acer they are born on the stems before leaves emerge. Generally 'Blood good' flowers less than others. With the "warm" winter that we have had it is not surprising that there are even fewer flowers this year.

Acer flowers are often born at the tips of the branches. It is evolutionarily more adventitious for the flowers and then the seed to be further away from the trunk to ensure higher germination. Then the dispersal mechanism is the wind which would be greatly reduced if closer to the trunk and "blocked" by the leaves.

It is not unusual for a small potted tree that is not being trained for bonsai to have large leaves. The larger surface area increases exponentially the photosynthates produced. Hence providing more energy for growth.

Young trees that have long internodes will often end up having its branches weighed down by leaves. It opens the tree up for air movement and more light exposure for photosynthesis.

Immature trees are "concentrating on growth and storage of carbohydrates. As trees mature they start to flower more and produce more seeds. It is as basic as photosynthesis surface area : flower production. I would have to look it up but if I recall correctly there is a relatively stable ratio.

o
RE: Japanese maple - strange blooming behavior

Thank you for a very informative lesson on the biology of the Acer p.
arnie...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here