Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crimson Queen problems

Posted by frankster_2007 Zone 6 - MA. (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 11:42

Old Maple about 5' X 5'. 3/4 of it has good leaf growth. The rest has dark buds and lots of yellowish lichen but no activity. The branches do not have the typical yellow color color that is seen on the healthy, leafed branches. They are only brown but strong and feel ok. I broke some small branches open and see that the inside is green. Have not checked the roots yet. Is this tree in trouble? Can I do anything before I lose it?
Any help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crimson Queen problems

Not sure what is going on with the tree. Check the roots with a soil probe, it may be too wet. If indeed it is too wet dig the tree and replant elsewhere or raise it.

As for the branches, scratch the bark. If the cambium is still green then leave them alone. If n not then prune them off removing the branch to green wood to facilitate scarring and avoid rot into the live tissue.

Scratching instead of breaking serves two purposes. One, if the branch/stem is green one has not lost the branch. Two, often in smaller woody plants, especially Acers from Japan, the interior of the branch is green for two years. Then it will turn white and only the cambium layer is green on live branches.

With the yellow lichens it sounds as if there may also be a nutrient issue. Have the soil tested if there is not a water problem. Too much water can inhibit nutrient uptake and if the tree has been "soggy" but still able to get oxygen to the roots then the nutrient deficiency is secondary to or a result of the water issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here