Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen sugar maples

Posted by pattio2 z4b - ON (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 11:48

We had a very early spring and the leaves on our 3 doz. sugar maples were about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. Then sometime in the first week of May we had a very hard freeze and all the leaves have dried up and are falling off. Some of the leaves are being replaced slowly especially on the south side and bottom of the trees. Does anyone know if the leaves will all be replaced and will this do any harm to the trees? They are over 100 years old and sure would hate to loose them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen sugar maples

Yes of course they will grow back.
Your trees are over 100 years old... you think this was the first time they went through a late freeze???

o

Well my father is 94 and he's never seen it around here before.

o

that would make it special! I remember a hail storm and my 84 year old grandmother said it was the biggest she'd seen. I thought that was surely unique.

Really I'd bet they would unless there is other stress. To put it in gamer terms I think of trees having maybe 5 regenerating hit points. A drought costs one, frost after leafing out another, some bug attack a third, too much shade a fourth, who knows.

Point is any one probably won't kill the tree but will lessen its reserve energy for awhile, it will just be one of them years with a smaller than normal growth ring.

o

Happens all the time where I am. (Every several years) Not to worry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here