Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scgrasscutter

Help needed!

scgrasscutter
15 years ago

One of my customers has a Japanese Maple that I found a problem with last year. At the base of the trunk I found some "rot". She had an extension agent from the local university come and have a look. He suggested that I remove the rotten wood and pack the cavity with an asphalt roof coating. I did as he suggested and all looked fine until last week when I inspected it agian, because the tree looks to be in poor health. I found that the coating did not harden anny except for the outer skin. Today I removed the "packing" and found that it was holding a fair amount of water, which concerns me because it may make things worse. I did not however find anymore rotten wood, in fact I found some new feeder roots. After doing a soil test I think I know why it looks in poor health. Now for my main question. Is there anything I can use to fill the cavity that will not hold water, or just leave it exposed? The rot was pretty severe, over half of the base is gone. I am just worried if I leave it open that it would be to inviting for further problems. I have a few pics, but they are not as detail as I would like. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

{{gwi:357460}}

{{gwi:357461}}

{{gwi:357462}}

{{gwi:357463}}

{{gwi:357464}}

Comment (1)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

scgrasscutter, What did you find out from the soil test? I'm not to sure i would pack it with anything. What do you think about limbing it up off the ground some to promote air circulation just for starters? What was packing with asphalt supposed to do for the tree???

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County