Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Geisha
Sango kaku or Japanese Sunrise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2005/06 Grafts

Wow i've never seen a fireglow with that type of leaves...are you sure that isn't a mistake? Or is that not its usual shape?

o

John:
I'm impressed. I made my first attempt at grafting last winter and the results were 0 fo 5. In addition, I've had one of my trees up and die this spring after it leafed out. (Tamukeyama)this is the second tree I've lost in the same spot. I'm thinking that the soil might be infected.
Mike

o

Mike,
I have found to have far better success with summer grafting although I am buying a greenhouse (maybe today) to hone my skill in the winter. I have lost a lost of grafts after they have taken and the second growth spurt hits. I think they drown in sap. I did a lot of conifer grafts this January and will do all my maples just after the summer push has ended.
Maybe you should pull the soil and replace with some good pine bark mix. I leave my grafts in pots until late fall then bury until spring to see if they survive.

Matt, now that you mention it I looked up Fireglow in the bible and it cannot be. Fireglow is more like a Bloodgood yet less devided. Fireglow is what the mother tree was labeled so I will have to do a little research to see just what I have here. Looks more like a Burgundy Lace. Thanks for the heads up!

Grancru

o

Or a Beni Otake

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here