Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msarro

Baby Japanese Maple - Bunch of questions!

msarro
11 years ago

Hey everyone! My fiance and I have a beautiful Japanese maple in front of our house that we love, especially her. We'd been discussing buying another one, but were hesitating with the prices we saw at stores.

Fast forward to yesterday - I was planting impatiens and pansies around the base of the maple in our front yard when I noticed a ~2 inch tall skinny reddish plant with two big red maple leaves. It looks like something that had come from the maple had taken root! With a bunch of excitement, I did my best to scoop up under the roots of the little guy, and put him in a small-ish pot (about 9" across, and 4" deep) with some potting soil, and gave an ample watering. As of this morning it didn't look like it was wilting or anything, but its still less than 24 hours after moving it. If it still looks ok in a day or two, I'll put some mulch around it on top of the pot until it gets a bit bigger and I move it into the ground.

I've never attempted to grow a tree before from something I found growing in the ground. How sensitive are their roots? Is there any chance it will live and grow? If so, what sort of care and feeding can I expect to take it from a baby to beyond safely? Is that size pot OK until it gets a touch bigger? My fiance really loves these trees and I'd love to make her happy with another one, especially if we can take it from being just a little thing.

Comments (5)

• msarro
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I am in SE Pennsylvania, between zones 6b and 7a. It is a red japanese maple, I can't tell you any more than that.

• houzi
    11 years ago

I must admit I'm unfamiliar with your climate,maybe someone can give further advice if needed.Firstly I'd say that pot is more than big enough.I grow seedlings in those little 11cm square pots and red maples can stay in them happily for 2years.Here my seedlings usually grow about 6'' to 1ft in the first year though perhaps a bit more for you.Personally I wouldn't plant it for 2years here to give it a chance to get some size and be able to withstand any exposure,less than ideal soil and competition from weeds etc.By this time they're still only a couple of foot high.It may be necessary to shelter the little guy thru the winter in an unheated garage or similar,I'll let someone who knows your zone advise :)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    11 years ago

As an inexperienced grower, under/over-watering are the most apt to be the tree's undoing. 'Regular' potting soil isn't the best choice for containerized trees, but you can help eliminate over-watering issues & reduce the likelihood of under-watering by burying the pot up to the soil line. This will also go a long way toward eliminating the high soil temps associated with container culture during the dog days.When the tree loses its leaves in the fall, pot it out of the ground, severing any roots growing through the drain hole. It should put on enough growth this year that you can plant it out next spring before buds move. When you do, it's preferable to bare root before planting, any time after the frost is out & up until it's pushing foliage, and correct any apparent root problems at that time. Fertilize every 2-3 weeks with a soluble fertilizer - MG 24-8-16 or 12-4-8 are both good choices.

Al

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

If your dealing with a 2" tree next time if you can, leave it where it sprouted until next spring or at least until the fall. Ive had better luck that way. Also i would forget about the leaf coloring for right now and keep that little guy in some shade.

• Ellie9834
    9 years ago

Hey, I have a similar problem. I have 2 small about 2.5in Japanese seedlings, i planted them outside in my yard. But is that fine? Or should I move them into a pot and bring it in. It November and I am living in New Jersey, I would said my ground is loamy soil but I am not 100% sure. And can someone please tell me how often and how much should I water it?